1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Pro's and Con's of a rooster?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Nyna, Aug 31, 2007.

1. Nyna

Nyna Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2007
    Western Montana
    Hi guys, I have 6 hens- a little over a year old. I don't have a rooster. I was wondering if I should get one. Would they be happier and safer? I wouldn't want a rooster that would make a lot of ruckus. I really don't want fertile eggs either. How long are the eggs still good to eat after they are laid? Would I have to get the same kind of rooster as my hens or can I get a real pretty one from the fair? I don't think DH wants a rooster, but what was wondering if there are some good pro's to having them? [​IMG]

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Well, having a roo is personal preference. Eggs can keep at least a month regardless if they are fertile or not. You can get any type of roo too, even a banty. The girls wont care. I find my hens are happy with a roo, they follow him around and crawl under him on the roost. They do get damaged featers on their back from the roo though due to mating. They won't look as pretty if you get a big roo that mates them a lot. I like to hear them crow and barely notice it now since I've had them for so many years. Other than aestetics, my roo is good at keeping an eye out for predators and keeps the hens in line. It is up to you if you want them. Fertile eggs are no different than unfertile eggs either until you incubate them. You get an extra cell in there that you won't even notice.

3. FluffyChickenMama

FluffyChickenMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2007
    Tennessee
    Roosters are like men.. if you dont want noise and kids.. dont get one.. [​IMG]

Thats the only way I know to put it..
    I LOVE to hear mine crow.. the man and the rooster.. [​IMG]

4. MayberrySaint

MayberrySaint Chillin' Out

Mar 7, 2007
    Mount Airy, NC
    The only reason I have a rooster is for protection and pro-creation. They will raise a ruckus and love to crow just about any time of day. They can be over-protective and dangerous to young children and other domestic animals. I believe my hens would be happier without the 3 roos but because I free-range, I like the protective nature of my alpha roo.

Protection - good and bad (if you have small children)
    Ruckus - if you don't like crowing a big con
    Fertilized eggs - good if you want to hatch chicks
    (neutral if you don't...can't tell any difference when eating)
    Hens - probably happier without a roo constantly mating them

Just my opinions...

5. Nyna

Jul 3, 2007
    Western Montana
    [​IMG] That's funny fluffychickenmama! Mayby I could get a little banty roo. My girls are all standards. That would be okay? Are the banty's just as noisy?

6. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Yeah, banties are just as noisy and sometimes, just like thoes little nip off your toes yappy tiny dog things, carry an attitude. Maybe get a cochin banty roo or something of the sort. They won't cause much damage at all to the girls feathers... but will also provide less protection if that is what you are going for. I free range my birds so the hens get to relax... I barely ever see my roo mate but that's because I'm alpha roo and he doesn't get to in front of me.

7. FluffyChickenMama

FluffyChickenMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2007
    Tennessee
    Quote:My little OEB crows just as much as my big ole RIR.. I love it though.. I have 7 more roos that will be crowing in the next mth.. cant wait for that...

8. Nyna

Jul 3, 2007
    Western Montana
    I would also like a silkie roo. They kinda look like muppets! I love it![​IMG]

9. skeeter9

skeeter9 Chillin' With My Peeps

I love having roos!!! Their crowing is beautiful and they are usually very pleasing to the eye. Just keep in mind that if you get a nasty one, you may have to get rid of it and try another one.

Lori

10. ali

ali Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2007
    newalla, ok
    i looooooove my roos:love, if i could just have roos i would. my rir & bantam roo have crow offs every morning but my little bantie man ALWAYS has the first and final say!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by