Pros and cons of auto cup drinkers?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by haroonshaukat, Mar 17, 2013.

1. haroonshaukat

haroonshaukat Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2013
    I was thinking of setting up a series of auto cup drinkers.

Any one have any experience with these? Are they any good? Which ones would you recommend?

2. appps

appps Overrun With Chickens

Aug 29, 2012
    Australia
    I bought cheap $5 ones off eBay and could not stop them leaking till I realised they couldn't be run off a tap no matter how much you turned it down. I now gravity feed them from a 15 litre drum and it works great.

About once a week I give the cups a squirt with the hose to keep them clean.

Wouldn't go back to filling water dishes.

3. haroonshaukat

Mar 16, 2013
    There's so many different designs out there, which ones did you use?

4. appps

Aug 29, 2012
    Australia
    They were a pale blue from china so very cheap design. If I ever replace them I might go a slightly sturdier version mainly because the screw that holds them to the wall is pretty flimsy but then they are working fine so who knows. For $5 for a set of four I figured it was a cheap way to test them out lol

The 15gal container cost me another $15 and I joined it all together with some automatic watering system polypipe I had lying around.

It'

Last edited: Mar 17, 2013
  5. haroonshaukat

Mar 16, 2013
    Thanks, do you have a link to the ones you bought?

6. appps

Aug 29, 2012
    Australia
    Like I said, cheap version but worth $5 to see if you like them. If you were going to build something flash like setup above I'd probably go for a better quality one.

View item:
    New 5x Automatic Chicken Waterer f. Poultry Water Drinker Auto Cup System Blue
    http://bit.ly/WS2wd6

Last edited: Mar 18, 2013
  7. Rich386

Rich386 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2011
    Live Oak, FL
    I can only tell you that the watering system I made I have not had to touch for over two years. The water is as clean and clear as day one. These horizontal nipples have only been in for a little over six months. I have never cleaned or serviced them and again they are as clean and leak free as the first day. Each of us has to decide what is best for our selves. If you are happy with what you have don't change! I certainly would not!!
    Respectfully Rich
    Here is a better picture of these nipples.

[​IMG]

8. speedy2020

speedy2020 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2010
    If you live in cold climate, the water in the cup will freeze during winter. You also need to clean once or twice a month because the cup do get dirty.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by