pros and cons of wormer ?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jessaw1981, Aug 21, 2010.

1. jessaw1981

jessaw1981 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2010
    Franklin Nc
    I am a little new at chickens and wanted to work mine. I haven't seen any but don't mean they don't have them right ? So I was wondering what are the pros and cons of all the workers ? I was going to use iveamec but does it kill them all ? and also when I found it in ts it was like 64.00 am I looking at the wronge one ? Also anyone seen a single use syringe of iveamec I have seen it in other things. what other thing will this one kill ?
    Thanks so much for all your help.

2. rcentner

rcentner Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    Le Roy, NY
    wazine is cheap and easy, but only kills the adult worms and you should dispose of eggs for 2 weeks ( I eat them, but to each his own)
    Ivermectin (Ivomec, eprinex) is expensive, but works on more than just worms. There is no egg throw away with ivomec. A bottle should last a while though.
    both mentioned above do not work for all worms, tapeworms need to be treated with fenbendazole/panacur. I think that is less common than the other worms and some people treat for them and some don't.

It may be worth the money (If you have it) for the ivomec (ivermectin).

3. jeremy

jeremy CA Royal Blues

Mar 23, 2008
    Oakland, CA
    How do you know if your chickens have worms? Should you routinely worm them regardless?
    (Not meaning to hijack the thread, just expanding on the OP original thought... [​IMG])

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 21, 2010
  4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    urbanfarmboi, having a worm issue? Did you talk to your vet about DE not killing worms? I'll be glad to help you if you suspect your chickens have worms. If you see worms in their poop,it means they have an infestation and need to be wormed. rcenter, you are confused about the wormers...I'll expain. If you never wormed before, I recommend you use wazine 17 first, it'll get rid of large roundworms only. There is a warning on the wazine bottle not to medicate prior to slaughter within 14 days for turkeys and chickens and 21 days for swine. Do not use in chickens producing eggs for human consumption. Fourteen days is the standard withdrawal period for egg consumption for most wormers and as well as bird consumption. In 10 days use a different wormer like valbazen, ivermectin or safeguard. Using a second wormer other than wazine helps prevent worm immunity and these second wormers kill other types of worms that your chickens might have, that wazine doesnt kill. Valbazen (albendazole) will kill tapeworms as does zimecttrin gold and quest plus. Safeguard (fenbendazole) will not kill tapeworms. Ivomec has a 2 week withdrawal period unless you use eprinex. Ivermectin will kill most kinds of worms including gapeworm, but not tapeworms. A benefit of using ivermectin pour on is that it'll kill most lice/mites.

5. jessaw1981

jessaw1981 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2010
    Franklin Nc
    so I live un the south Di I need to work I have never seen any and they seem fine ? They all eat and grow well.

6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    jessaw1981. When your chickens start acting lethargic, not want to eat or drink, slow or stopped laying eggs...not acting like a chicken should....most likely they have a worm infestation and need to be treated. Check their poop often and just monitor your chickens for lethargic behavior. I hope this helps.

7. jeremy

jeremy CA Royal Blues

Mar 23, 2008
    Oakland, CA
    Quote:Nope, [​IMG] My birds appear to be healthy and are laying up a storm. I'm just trying to further my knowledge. I still stand by DE as being a preventative measure but it's good to be educated on the subject if I ever do have a worm issue.

Thank you though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by