Pros/Cons of having a rooster?

KimpelCoop

Hatching
May 13, 2015
Hi, we are semi new to owning chickens just got our first flock last year. We have one of our original hens left and now she is killing off the new younger chicks. I was wondering if having a rooster would help put her in line?
And also what other benefits or downfalls there might be to having a rooster. Thanks!!

Hi, we are semi new to owning chickens just got our first flock last year. We have one of our original hens left and now she is killing off the new younger chicks. I was wondering if having a rooster would help put her in line?
And also what other benefits or downfalls there might be to having a rooster. Thanks!!

I wouldn't tolerate a hen that killed chicks.. There is always a bit of pecking, showing the bitties who is boss going on, but to directly seek out and kill them, no way. That hen needs to go to the stew pot..

How old are these chicks? If they're just barely off the heat lamp and still small, unfortunately her behavior is quite normal. As HighStreetCoop stated, they should be kept separate until they're roughly the same size.

The only way baby chicks survive being in a flock is if they have a momma hen. She will kick the rear of anyone who gets close to them, including the rooster. Without a momma, baby chicks are fair game for everyone else and they will be killed. I would get those babies separated quick!

I'm a one year chicken owner myself and worried about how I would introduce young, new babies to the flock too.
I waited til some of my girls went broody & let one sit til she hatched a solo chick then added bought babies. Another hen went broody & I replaced her eggs with chicks as well.
I went so far as to buy a small coop/run for the mama & babies where they can interact with the flock when I free range them, but they're protected. What the others said are correct as she's trying to tear up anything that comes close to her run :) be it me, the cats, or other chickens.

Remove them, or better yet quarantine the mean hen until the babies can fend her off.

Back
Top Bottom