pros/cons of incubating?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by miss_jayne, Aug 20, 2008.

1. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    i am thinking of purchasing a hovabator genesis and wondered what the pros and cons are of incubating. (or should i buy two...looks like one is addictive...maybe is should save on shipping the first go round?!?!?[​IMG])

main questions... is it hard to do and what kind of success should i expect if i follow directions etc.

any thoughts are welcomed.

i would like to do chickens, turkeys and maybe try some other edible fowl.

2. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Ive read that you should have 2 incubators. One for incubating and another just to use for days 18-21 as a hatcher.

3. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Well, I want the exact incubator you're talking about for one soo two may not be a bad idea for yourself ha ha!

I got my only incubator for right now from the tractor supply store, an LG (little giant) just a styrofaom still air incubator (unless ya buy the fan). I roll the eggs myself because the egg turner FOR the LG cost the same as the incubator itself ha ha...

ANywho the downfalls can be that the incubator can rule your life....if you have fluctuating temps in your home they will fluctuate somewhat in the incubator, and humidity is normally a stresser as well as to low of a humidity percentage during hatching cna cause chick morality. [​IMG]

I have hatched 2 hatches so far (my 3rd is hatching as I type this...well pipping...). The first round of eggs I bought I bought an over exaggerated amount (i bought 100 and got 130+).. Some were smashed so that's why they put extras in to help keep my number of eggs recieved unharmed around 100...anywhoo...after 7 days many of those were not fertile or i found cracks in them that i hadn't seen the first day so they werent' fertile either (i checked). So i threw (not really ofcourse) about 70 some fertile eggs back in the incubator ----only 23 of those hatched, with the 23rd one dying soon after hatching...the rest (22) are healthy and annoying (peeping at night ha ha). Technically my first hatch was button quails, I bought ten, 1 sucessfully hatched, another hatched and died, and another yet didnt hatch and was deformed and died after i removed it from the shell...*i would have culld it had it not died anyhow-it had no upper beak and only one eye*.

So down falls can be irregular temps and humidity causing failed hatches, or slughish hatches that take longer than their due date to hatch.

Other than that i LOOOOVE them you can more so control what you hatch and how many, and you dont have to worry abotu a hen stopping laying because she's sitting on a clutch of eggs...plus YOU yourself can technically plan when they hatch....(tho the specific date can vary).

Stress, being on pins and needles waiting for them to hatch, ADDICTING.....need i say more???

Get quails too [​IMG]

4. BirdBoy88

BirdBoy88 Angel Egg

Dec 26, 2007
    Maryland
    2 bator is the best way to go or atleast have 1 bator and make your own hatcher... i started off with one bator and i always had eggs hatching on different days and it was ok but it had it's up's and downs so now i have 2 bators one for incubating and one for hatching [​IMG]

and you gotta have your bator in a room with good temp so that the bator temps will stay steady ... both my bators are in my closet..lol... it was the only room they would have steady temps in

Last edited: Aug 20, 2008
  5. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Also, a forced air incubator is best. And if your room temps arent constant, I wouldnt get a foam incubator.

6. CindyS

CindyS Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    Geneseo, Illinois
    Those are great incubators, you should expect 90 to 100% hatch in them. Dont waste one to use as a hatcher, though. A still air 1602 works perfect for that and is much cheaper. I havent noticed any problems with room temps. Any place in the house that is being lived in should be ok for the incubator.

7. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    great responses so far.

monarc23...i see your evil plan to get me to buy you an incubator! ha ha ha! quails! what the heck am i gonna do with 'em? if you convince me i guess i would try it...if you buy ME the incubator![​IMG]

cindy....
    Those are great incubators, you should expect 90 to 100% hatch in them.

woah...is this what others experience also? good return on my money.

i am thinking of trying this for a late winter hatching, so they can be read to go up to the 'big house' when temps are nice.

any other opinions are more than welcome, like i said before positive or negative. thanks again everyone!​

8. chicksgalore

chicksgalore Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    I have a LG still air incubator and i also turn the eggs myself although some say that's my biggest problem. When you open it up to turn the eggs, you lose too much moisture. I haven't had very successful hatches so far (I've done about 4 or 5) but it's a learning process and something I'd really like to get better at. This winter I should have enough fertile eggs of my own to try again!

9. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    i think i would get the auto turner for myself so as to avoid that. thanks for the tip!

10. Bammony

Bammony Red-dress-less

Aug 15, 2008
    Salina, Utah
    I've never used a table top bator. Only cabinet bators. Right now I'm using a 1502 sportsman and I absolutely love it! It's auto everything! They pack a high price tag but I wish I had bought mine years ago. It has already paid for itself in the chicks I have hatched and sold (most of the chicks were mutt chicks)! The only problem I've had with mine was humidity. We fixed that in a hurry and now all is well! We're still hatching like crazy. I'll be turning it off shortly for the winter but will be firing it back up in February. Anyways, I think anyone who buys a bator needs to just buy two.....or three.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by