Pros/Cons of multi breed flock

m80fierro

Chirping
5 Years
Dec 26, 2014
New Mexico
Happy New Year All,
I have been raising chickens since March of last year. We started out with 5 chicks and were just given two more chickens by some family friends. In our initial purchase we bought 3- RIR's and 2 EE's. Our additions were Orp's. While the pecking order is in place and they don't cause too much trouble, I was just wondering if there will be any bumps down this road in the future? My EE's are by far the most relaxed and at the bottom of the pecking order. The Orp's have come in and adjusted well. Now my RIR's are on top and for the most part pretty aggressive. While two are hens, I'm pretty sure the 3rd is a Roo. I am located in the city limits so I will have to relocate him to my dad's country side property soon. I would also like to add a couple Blue Wheaton Ameraucana's but I just want to make sure that I'm not setting myself up for failure. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks BYC,

The only con to a multi breed flock is if you want to breed for pure breds.

Space per population and ventilation are of utmost importance in long term flock harmony and health.
Adding new birds directly to your flock without a proper medical quarantine is risky from a disease standpoint.

By now, if you had a rooster with your March chicks, he would have declared himself months ago! Does he look like a rooster? Does he crow? Does he mount the pullets? If you're not sure, post a pic of the RIR in question. How big is your coop and run? That will determine if you can add more birds, and even if you are overstocked right now. Winter is the hardest time on birds regarding stocking density. They need a lot more room to be happy than the recommendation of 4 s.f. in coop/10 s.f. in run/bird, IMO. Sounds like you're having fun with your flock. There's just something about those EE. They're like Lay's potato chips. "you can't have just one!"

Space is the crucial determiner of the number of birds, not so much the different breeds. If the flock is not getting along, you probably have too many for the space. Birds will do some rather horrible things to each other if they are kept to close together.

The trick to successful chicken raising is being able to add and SUBTRACT from your current flock. Always fun to add new birds, new chicks but often times, that means someone has to go.

Mrs K

The only con to a multi breed flock is if you want to breed for pure breds.

Space per population and ventilation are of utmost importance in long term flock harmony and health.
Adding new birds directly to your flock without a proper medical quarantine is risky from a disease standpoint.

Great Article, thanks

By now, if you had a rooster with your March chicks, he would have declared himself months ago! Does he look like a rooster? Does he crow? Does he mount the pullets? If you're not sure, post a pic of the RIR in question. How big is your coop and run? That will determine if you can add more birds, and even if you are overstocked right now. Winter is the hardest time on birds regarding stocking density. They need a lot more room to be happy than the recommendation of 4 s.f. in coop/10 s.f. in run/bird, IMO. Sounds like you're having fun with your flock. There's just something about those EE. They're like Lay's potato chips. "you can't have just one!"

I'll get a pic posted soon, thanks, "awesome you just can't have one" lol

I'll have to get dimensions on my coop. It was a store bought one that I have since modified and added onto. My run is about 10'x10' and we let them out into their portion of my backyard daily (usually from 3pm until dark during work weeks). This area is approx. 15'x25'. Thanks once again

Last edited:
Space is the crucial determiner of the number of birds, not so much the different breeds. If the flock is not getting along, you probably have too many for the space. Birds will do some rather horrible things to each other if they are kept to close together.

The trick to successful chicken raising is being able to add and SUBTRACT from your current flock. Always fun to add new birds, new chicks but often times, that means someone has to go.

Mrs K

Thank you, so true on the math.

Back
Top Bottom