prospective duck momma with questions first!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by annabananaandfamily, Mar 6, 2012.

1. annabananaandfamily

annabananaandfamily Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Maine
    I have been toying with the idea of adding 2-3 ducks to our little backyard farm, but I have a bunch of questions first.

Can I house them with my chickens?

I read that I can feed them the same feed that I give my chickens, do any of you have any different thoughts, suggestions, etc on this?

What would I need to do for the ducks in the winter that I might not do for the chickens already?

I dont have a pond or similar on our property. Would a kiddie pool work? Maybe eventually adding some small water feature, but that would be a good ways down the road...

I am sure I will think of a million more! Thanks in advance everyone!

2. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

Can I house them with my chickens?
    -I do

I read that I can feed them the same feed that I give my chickens, do any of you have any different thoughts, suggestions, etc on this?
    -I do, just remember it is not recommended to give ducklings medicated starter

What would I need to do for the ducks in the winter that I might not do for the chickens already?
    - where do you live? I live in Fl and do nothing different, we have not had a winter this year.

I don't have a pond or similar on our property. Would a kiddie pool work? Maybe eventually adding some small water feature, but that would be a good ways down the road...

I use a kiddy pool, I'm planning on a filtered built in pond later too.

3. annabananaandfamily

May 6, 2011
    Maine
    Im in Maine,so typically much more of a winter than you have.

Though this year, not so much[​IMG]

4. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

You'll have to wait for some better duck person that lives in the cold... I just don't know.

5. racefanz

racefanz Out Of The Brooder

Jun 30, 2009
    Maine
    I have 3 ducks and 19 chickens. They all live together with no problems. I give them all the same feed because it is too hard to give them seperate feed when they all have access to the same spaces. I live in Maine and use a kiddie pool or a sled filled with water during the winter. I haven't done anything different for them other than the pool with water. Good luck, they are fun to watch and interact with!

Last edited: Mar 6, 2012
  6. Ilovemyduckies

Ilovemyduckies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2012
    Yes, you can house them with chickens, they will get along fine :D
    Yes, I feed my ducks and chicken all the same stuff and they are perfectly fine.
    I don't think you would have to do anything different with the ducks, they have down which is meant to keep them warm. So they should be fine.
    Yes a kiddie pool would work just fine, there are tons of people who use them. I use a plastic sand box and it works fine for me.

7. annabananaandfamily

May 6, 2011
    Maine
    Thanks all! It is so very tempting! Guess I will see what I come home with after our first swap day up here :)

8. zion11

zion11 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 7, 2012
    Asheville, NC
    I am planning on doing the same thing - have ours all live together. I'm wondering where our ducks will sleep! Will they go up the ramp and into the coop and just sleep on the floor under the roosting hens? Will they just want to hang under the coop within haybales or something? Not getting ducklings for a few months still, so I've got some time to figure it out :) Good luck!

9. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada

Last edited: Mar 7, 2012
  10. SportTees

SportTees Chillin' With My Peeps

Answers in quote

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by