prosthetics for paralized adult chicken?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by twandx, Jan 21, 2013.

1. twandx

twandx Out Of The Brooder

Nov 4, 2009
    I have a 4 y/o Black Star that has a paralysis of the legs. For over two weeks now it is still eating well and alert but needs help. I have seen how some of you have house chickens and created diapers and ask if anyone has invented a sling of sorts for a hen with "crazy legs" that will hold the body and wings and let the legs exercize.

I have read of Marcks but my hen, Floppy Doodle, named for her unique comb, does not seem to fit any of the descriptions. All ideas welcome. One idea already is to use a small baby rubber pants with holes cut for legs.

2. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Merek's can present in many ways in chickens of *all* ages.

3. twandx

Nov 4, 2009
    I've read that, Casp... - also that not all leg problems like this are Mereks so will work with her as long as she remains bright eyed and bushy tailed - full of life and appetite.

4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

That's what I would do...

5. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    The preemie onsie might work to put her legs and wings through. If you are good with a needle and thread you can make loops on the back of the onsie to attach to an overhead bar-creating something like a swing set.

Beware, though, birds who cannot get up and relieve the pressure on the sternum will eventually develop multiple organ failure. The air sacs become displaced and create pressure on the other organs. They develop pneumonia, crop issues and so forth.

However, you might just be the person whose chicken will beat all odds and survive.

6. twandx

Nov 4, 2009
    Thanks OChick, I'll do a search when I can get to it tonight. I had thought of a baby swing using small size plastic/rubber pants with holes cut for legs. I still have not enginered the swing part. She is so feisty - nearly tore my hand apart with beak grabbing sunflower seeds and bits of cheese.

I would use the swing only perodically during the day and rest her down in the straw often and at night. She seems to know to change her position in the straw quite often during the day. Thanks to all for your interest. I'll keep you posted.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by