1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Protecting Against Hawks & Eagles

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by KoFamilyFarm, Jun 22, 2011.

1. KoFamilyFarm

KoFamilyFarm Out Of The Brooder

Jun 22, 2011
    Oregon
    Hi! I'm new to the board, but was hoping someone out there might have some suggestions. We lost our last flock to some very hungry hawks and an eagle, and have been trying to come up with a budget-friendly coop design that might prevent this from happening to our new flock. Any ideas please??

We've got a pretty big open space, and right now our babies are a little tiny, so we're very worried. Some pictures.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2011
  2. dianaross77

dianaross77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    Your best bet would be to build a run and cover it. Bird netting or wire or string cris crossed over the top would keep hawks out. You could also plant some bushes for cover.

3. KoFamilyFarm

KoFamilyFarm Out Of The Brooder

Jun 22, 2011
    Oregon
    Hmm.. thank you! I think I might give the string a shot. The areas a bit large for wire...

4. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

Another thing that works very well against hawks, eagles, ravens, seagulls, etc is fruit tree netting. Just remember it will NOT stop a coon.

5. dianaross77

dianaross77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    Just make sure the strings are closer together than the wingspan of the birds you're trying to keep out. A bright color might help too.

6. spotstealer

spotstealer Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Poynette, WI
    Here is what I did, it also helps for the rain. I don't think I even have fifty bucks into it (the canopy and framing). I modified a PVC green house design and attached it to a fence I already had in place.
    [​IMG]

7. RiddleMe

RiddleMe Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2011
    Central Oregon
    I've also read about hanging CDs/DVDs from the string, I think the reflection as they move in the wind is supposed to confuse them/make it harder for them to focus on the chickens? My run is covered in chicken wire and so far, no issues with hawks, and we have plenty. But I haven't quite gotten the courage to let them free range yet, waiting until they're closer to full grown.

8. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Quote:Can you house Steve with your birds during day at least? He should be large enough even eagles will steer clear of him.

9. LCTX-Chickens

LCTX-Chickens Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2009
    League City, Texas
    I plan to use 1/4" hardware cloth for my 4' x 4' x 4' coop. This will be raised 2' off the ground & sitting inside a 6' x 12' chain link dog kennel that will have a tin roof over the top. This will sit inside of a 30' x 30' fenced dog run that has an electric wire around the perimeter with a fence charger on it. We have a lot of hawks, & lots of possums & racoons around our place plus an occasional coyote. Hoping my approach will provide the appropriate security for the birds... Any feedback sincerely appreciated!

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by