Protecting Chickens from Hawks with a Chicken Mask?

Rootzstyle

Hatching
5 Years
Jan 19, 2015
Hi there,

A friend of mine just told me about a trick that I'm wondering if someone may have heard about. Apparently, a japanese farmer (could be wrong about nationality) created small plastic masks that could be placed on the back of a chickens head to stop hawk attacks.

The mask on the back of the chickens head would make it appear that the chicken was looking at the sky, thus not affording the opportunity the hawk is looking for to strike. He would place these masks on only 2-3% of his chickens and it completely stopped the attacks on 100% of the chickens.

I've so far lost 3 chickens this year to hawks. I have a small coop and I can't bear to keep them locked up. So I'm looking for some solution to keep them roaming the backyard freely. The above sounds like a novel idea but I can't find a source to purchase these masks, if they do in fact exist.

Last edited:
I don't think the birds will like that.

If you want them to stop,put up scarecrow men.It fools the hawk making it look like a human.

Hawks no the danger,and have to live,they still as far away as possible.

Good luck!

I have never heard of that but I don't feel that would work. I don't think hawks are going to say uh oh the chicken see's me I'll move on to the next. I've had them attack while the rooster is making his warning calls and everyone is running for cover. It's tigers that only attack from behind.

I suspect that chicken sized suits of plate armor will prove more effective at protecting chickens from hawks than Kabuki Theater masks will.

What would be funny though is if someone posts a video of a rooster holding a hen down with one foot while the rooster tries to pull off his suit of armor with the other foot.
gig.gif

Your lucky hawks don't attack your hens with you holding them. I do seem, kind of, sort of, to remember one poster saying that he had a hawk fly between his legs to catch a hen.

If the chicken is unlucky enough to share the same environment as the hawk, in my experience only a healthy fear of humans will provide an effective hawk deterrent.

I suspect that chicken sized suits of plate armor will prove more effective at protecting chickens from hawks than Kabuki Theater masks will.

What would be funny though is if someone posts a video of a rooster holding a hen down with one foot while the rooster tries to pull off his suit of armor with the other foot.:gig

I now have visions of my Roo getting the helm twisted and stumbling around blindly while the hens are laughing at him from behind their wings...

TRY PUTTING FISHING LINE ABOVE THEM IN A SPIDER WEB DESIGN, THE HAWKS WONT TRY TO GET THROUGH IT BECAUSE THEY WILL HIT THE LINES WHEN TRYING TO FLY PAST THEM. THEN BETWEEN THE FISHING LINE AND THE FENCING WE USED DEER NETTING WHICH IS HARD TO SEE IN THE PICTURE. USE AN 80# FISHING LINE IT LASTS LONGER, BOTH THESE ARE VERY CHEAP AND WORK GREAT!

Back
Top Bottom