Protecting from coyotes

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by LizGled628, Aug 1, 2010.

1. LizGled628

LizGled628 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Rhode Island
    We are just finishing our coop for our seven week old chicks. The coop is currently in our garage, and we plan on moving it outside this weekend and installing the run. We have two hook and eye closures (the ones with the sliding latch) each on the coop doors (one of the doors is for ventilation and has hardware cloth across it). Our nesting box is shingled and quite heavy, but it also has a more heavy duty clasp latch. The roof is hinged to open, but again, it's extremely heavy...we still put some hooks on it. We are also covering the run with hardware cloth and burying it six inches deep.

Tonight there are coyotes in my yard. I'm extremely concerned, as I've never seen them in our neighborhood before. Have I done enough to protect our chicks? Should I install an electric fence? We are installing a door in our run, and I'm wondering what I should do to prevent them from digging under the door.

Thanks for the advice.

2. sunflowerenvy

sunflowerenvy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    south/west tn
    if you could post some pictures it would help.

you says
    "We have two hook and eye closures (the ones with the sliding latch) each on the coop doors (one of the doors is for ventilation and has hardware cloth across it). "
    the coop door that the chickens comes out of does slide down over the opening close like human door or swing down or up? if is inside your coop like mine i have two sliding bolt that lock my chicken door up at night the eye n hook are not safe for raccoon n coyette or foxes, i will be better to see the coop to go any farther

3. MysticScorpio82

MysticScorpio82 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Maine, USA
    I would change the locks on the door for starters because a raccoon has opposable thumbs and can easily unlatch it. If the lock is near the top half of the door, a fox or coyote can possibly pull open the bottom corner of the door and get int (more true for foxes, but some coyotes are really small!).

I don't think you need to go as far as electric fences IF you have a really good run. You want to make sure a predator can not dig under it, or jump over the fence (so something strong on top).

As long as they can not get into the coop or the run, your chickies should be fine. However you need to do what makes you more comfortable. If you think you need electric fences, then go for it! Trust your instinct! [​IMG]

4. LizGled628

Jun 13, 2010
    Rhode Island
    Both doors swing out like people doors. The hook and eye closures have a piece of spring loaded metal you have to slide over in order to lift, but do you still think that's not sufficient.

The first picture of the front of the coop has the ventilation door with hardware cloth. I don't think we had the locks installed at this point in the installation. The second picture shows only one lock, but we've since put an additional lock.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

What kind of locks would you guys suggest?

**edited because I found better pictures**

Last edited: Aug 1, 2010
  5. LizGled628

Jun 13, 2010
    Rhode Island
    Quote:Thanks [​IMG] I have two locks on each door, one on the top and one on the bottom, in case someone tries to get in. And we have hardware cloth over the top of the run (not hardware...something a little less sturdy but still sufficient), and our run is 7 feet tall. I sure hope nothing can jump over it!

6. FF

FF Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2010
    Tennessee
    I don't know if you would be up to doing this but I do believe it is legal to shoot a coyote. It si in Tennessee anyways. Rhode Island I don't now. you will have to check with a local game warden first. Good Luck with the problem and I hope it all goes good. Thanks Dusty (FF) [​IMG]

7. LizGled628

Jun 13, 2010
    Rhode Island
    It IS legal to shoot a coyote in RI. I was just investigating that. I'm not sure my neighbors would approve, but I gotta protect my babies!

8. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

Tie a big Black & Tan Coon Hound on the coop! That'll keep the yotes away! [​IMG]

9. ekemily

ekemily Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Fairhope, AL
    Sounds like your coop is pretty secure. If you are worried about the coyote digging under your run, you can put down a horizontal fence. I placed one around my run, and NOTHING is getting under that, excpet maybe a mole. I also buried my vertical fencing 6 inches under ground like you did. I also added concrete around the base for added stability. I secured my horizontal fence to my vertical fence using both heavy wire (like a huge twist tie) and the heavy plastic zip ties (for something extra and so that I could tell if it was being tampered with). The grass has now grown over my horizontal fence, and you can't even tell it's there. Coyotes are excellent diggers. So are foxes.
    Cute coop!!

10. LizGled628

Jun 13, 2010
    Rhode Island
    EKEMILY: Thanks for the tips! The coop is nearly done now, the pictures don't do it justice....I'll take the credit, but it was all my husbands doing. I will definitely look into horizontal fencing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by