Protecting the hardware cloth flooring

Discussion in 'Quail' started by James the Bald, Feb 18, 2013.

1. James the Bald

James the Bald Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2013
    I'm in the process of building my second quail pen, and I've had this little light bulb go off in my head, and I thought I would mention it here to see if it is a halfway bright idea, or what.

For those wanting our birds above the ground, has anyone thought about applying a light coat of Rustoleum paint to the hardware cloth flooring? Over the past few weeks, I've watched a few dozen videos on U-tube about raising quail, and one thing I've noticed is that in a majority of the videos, the hardware cloth flooring looks rusted. I was wondering if it would be worth it to spray a thin coat of paint to protect the metal; I can imagine that all the weekly scrubbing would shorten the life of the flooring and it would need to be replaced eventually. I'm considering this for the "long haul", so it's just along the lines of protecting my long term investment.

Any thoughts would be appreciated,
    James

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    They sell coated hardware cloth.

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    X2. You can get coated hardware cloth that will take years of scrubbing and not peel. :)

4. James the Bald

Jan 6, 2013
    I must not be looking in the right place. The 3 places that I get hardware cloth from only carry the galvanized stuff. Thank you for the replies.

5. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Ace Hardware is the only place that carries it in my town. If they do not have it, see if they can order it.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2013
  6. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2013
  7. James the Bald

Jan 6, 2013
    The Home Depot by my place doesn't carry the coated stuff; just the generic plain-jane galvanized hardware cloth. Thanks for the links Chicken Canoe. I'll have to keep this in mind when I speak with my funds director (aka, Mrs the Bald), as I told her this would't be breakin the bank to make a couple of wire cages.

8. MrBobWhite

MrBobWhite Out Of The Brooder

Feb 2, 2013
    paoli, indiana
    Tractor supply carries this also.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by