Protection for my chickens

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by gonechickcrazy, Mar 6, 2009.

1. gonechickcrazy

gonechickcrazy Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2008
    Northern Kentucky
    Hello, yesterday 3 dogs came onto my property and killed 4 of my chickens. I wasn't home at the time and a nearby neighbor seen the dogs but didn't know they was attacking the chickens. Is there anything (dog, goat etc..) that can be put with the chickens to protect them. I do not have an outside dog now but have been thinking about getting one. Any suggestions on what breed. I would really like an Australian Shepherd, but I have not heard if they are ok with chickens.
    Thanks for the Help
    Tisha

2. Fredster

Fredster Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2007
    Alabama
    I'd recommend one of the livestock guardian breeds of dog, like Great Pyrenees, but I'm biased because I have two of them protecting my chickens. [​IMG]

3. gonechickcrazy

gonechickcrazy Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2008
    Northern Kentucky
    Quote:Thanks for the info!! I wasn't sure if the Pyrenees would protect chickens. I have seen them with sheep and goats. I might give that a try. Do you let yours run loose and are they hard to train?

4. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    we use these 3...

[​IMG]

5. Fredster

Fredster Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2007
    Alabama
    Quote:My chicken yard is about 2.5 acres fenced. The dogs live in there with the chickens. It's not quite running loose, but it's also not like a small backyard either. [​IMG]

The only training I've had to give is the occasional verbal correction or "bite" (a la Cesar Millan) when they tried to play with chickens when they were a little younger. They never hurt any chickens, but they did a little chasing and some of the "try-to-set-a-paw-on-the-chicken" game. Once I corrected that a few times, they stopped. They've been around chickens their whole lives.

You might check this thread for an idea of what they do most days. I don't think I'd trade 'em for any amount of money.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2009
  6. luvv4life

luvv4life Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2009
    Salida, CO
    anyone ever use Llamas to deter unwanted guests? I know Llamas are used to protect different kinds of livestock (and are good at thier jobs-believe it or not), but not heard from any chicken owners.

7. Queen Scoot

Queen Scoot Crochet Chieftess

May 27, 2008
    HOOKERVILLE!!!
    i use him......Bubba!!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    on duty
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    hes the best chicken protector there is my great pyr!!

8. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Maybe think about a pair of dogs, if you can swing it. They're a lot more effective than one dog, when they have multiple attackers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by