Protection LLamas

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Skyesrocket, Mar 29, 2009.

1. Skyesrocket

Skyesrocket Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    I have heard that they make good herd guardians, but never saw it for myself until I was at a friends recently.
    She has a large goat/sheep herd. Her set up is a large run in barn and 40 fenced outside acres. The animals are free to come and go but are locked inside in the evening. There is a lot of room for all of them inside.
    Getting to the llamas.... While I was there one of her goats had twins in the barn. Once momma had them cleaned off and up on their feet her two male gelded llamas were making there picks of who would guard the new babies. They each went to the babies and nuzzled them then moved away from the babies and had a spitting fight...face to face with each other.
    My friend told me that they were deciding who would protect the new babies.
    It was facinating to watch. Afterward they both layed down for a nap and the older babies cuddled up to them and slept while the mommas were taking a break.
    I thought it was neat. [​IMG]

2. serendipity22

serendipity22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    NC
    That is interesting! Thanks for sharing!

I've only known protection Donkeys, personally.

I would love to see a Llama!

3. playswithfowl

playswithfowl One Earth!

Jun 18, 2007
    Oregon
    There are lots of people around here with sheep and more & more of them are getting Llamas to guard them. There is a little farm near us that have a large flock of sheep and have a Donkey and Llama that work together to guard them. I was suprised that the two get along so well [​IMG]

4. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    Until you've seen a mad llama chasing down and pummeling a coyote you ain't seen nothing! My two guard llamas are excellent at their job and no four footed predator in it's right mind comes on my land... that includes the neighbors dogs.

5. Picklestix7866

Picklestix7866 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2009
    Thawing Minnesota
    Awww. Thats sweet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by