Protection!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Jmurcks, Nov 5, 2009.

1. Jmurcks

Jmurcks Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2009
    North Alabama
    I don't have any chickens, yet, but I am trying to get everything in order for when I do get them.
    I have a fenced in back yard, about 1/4 acre I was planning on putting them in that is fenced with chain link and goat wire.
    Am I going to have to build a pen for them or will this be ok for them to run in during the day? I plan on putting them up at night in a coop but I was scared that maybe it was too much yard and too easy to get into? It's about a 4-6 foot fence.
    Also, in regards to hawks, I had this idea but not sure if it would work... about halfway of the yard I thought about flying a fairly large American flag. Maybe patriotic and practical? I thought it might deter the hawks a bit, I guess only when the wind is blowing, though!
    Thanks so much!

2. Kennyog

Kennyog Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2009
    Oak Grove
    I would keep the chickens covered with some type of netting if you are worried about hawks.Owls are more of a problem than hawks,but if you put them in at night,problem solved.Dogs can jump a fence to get chickens also.I have trapped 15 coons and 1 'possum this year around my coop.You can never be too careful when it comes to protecting your chickens.I also trapped a cat that was snooping around my coop.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by