protective baby chick?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by czardog, Apr 15, 2011.

1. czardog

czardog New Egg

Apr 14, 2011
    So first time getting chicks got 3 different breeds, Barred Rock, Golden Sex-Link, and a white leghorn. All came supposedly 95% female.
    I was wondering if there is a certain temperament between male and female chicks? The white leghorn is extremely concerned and protective of the barred rock. When I take them out one at a time from the brooder to play with the white leghorn peeps so loud when the barred rock is out but not when I play with the sex-link. Is it normal for one chick to bond with another but not all?
    I'm really hoping I have no roos :x

totally would post a pic but new member so i guess they are doing a spam control :O

Thanks!
    Amanda

2. lady feathers

lady feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2010
    Temperment doesn't necessarily mean they are male or female.... some males are super friendly, my roo is very calm and laid back but a little timid when it comes to being handled, while my australorp hen thinks she is the rooster of the bunch telling evryone else where to go and when to get there [​IMG] but she still lets me handle her and oet her all the time! I think you can have friendly and not friendly in both. Some of them love to be held while others are more content just to hang out in close proximity. Funny to watch them each develop a personality and it can greatly vary within the breed too. We ordered about 30 dark cornish this year and a handful of them love to perch in my arms and on my legs and will just sit tere being stroked for over an hour, while others kind of skitter ou of reach if they can... nobody is nasty though, I try to handle them alot to help prevent it!

They will defnately buddy up with each other.... I've noticed that some of mine are alwas sleeping next to the same brooder mates! But don't worry about the leghorn not being as attached to the GSL they will still identify each other as coop mates, and in general get along just fine. Only occasionaly, do you end up with someone nobody can deal with and if you do, someone else's flock could be a better fit for them!

3. czardog

czardog New Egg

Apr 14, 2011
    I appreciate your response, being a first time I tend to worry about everything [​IMG]
    It is fun watching their personalities now and see how they grow up to be, the leghorn is the nicest so far. the barred rock hates being touched/picked up and sounds like a whistle when i try lol then she kinda gives up and sleeps. this is wayyy too cute, happy to have started :]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by