Protective chick!!?? It's too cute!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Momma_Cluck, Mar 3, 2009.

1. Momma_Cluck

Momma_Cluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2008
    N. West Michigan
    I WISH I could get a picture of this-- but they allways move once they realize I'm watching!

We have 3 babies that are 3.5 weeks old.. 2 white silkies, and a black silkie mix. She is VERY curious and sweet-- with a real "Diva" attitude..
    10 days ago, one of the white ones broke her foot and it swelled so big the skin split... she is doing MUCH better, but still can't put weight on it...

ANYWAY: I went in a couple times now to find the black chick (who is slightly bigger) Squatting over the 2 white ones while they sleep, with her wing over them! She doesn't sleep-- she stands watch, and guards them!

Whenever the injured one can't get to the water or the other white one tips her over, the black one is right there checking on her!

Anyone else ever have a "Baby" this protective???

2. My chicken is cuter

My chicken is cuter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    Houston, TX
    That's so cute!!!! [​IMG]

3. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    Is it possibly a roo?

4. Chickadee93

Chickadee93 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 1, 2009
    PA
    You have to get a pic of that! [​IMG]

5. Momma_Cluck

Momma_Cluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2008
    N. West Michigan
    Quote:Oh I hope not--- we have too many roo's already, and kinda wanted this one as an indoor pet!

6. chookchick

chookchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    Olympia WA
    That reminds me of Big Bird--he was very protective of the smallest chick (my only hen) even when they were about 2-3 weeks old. I WISH I had videotaped him, it was soo cute. I would suspect that the protective chick is a roo--it's just in them to be that way.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by