1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Protective rooster? Golfballs in the nest?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by lablover, Mar 21, 2013.

1. lablover

lablover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2012
    2 questions. :)

Is it bad to leave golfballs in the nest? I have a red sex link that likes to sit on the eggs in the evening. Only in the evening... So I've left golfballs in the nest to see if she would stay on them. I would like for one of my hens, either a sex link or ameraucana to go broody, so...

Also, my rooster is almost 1 year old along with his flock of 5 hens. I've never had an aggression problem with him unless I'm on the ground holding a hen. If I grab a hen and stand up, he's really not a problem. Lately, I've been having to put the chickens in the coop by hand when they roost on top of the coop because the wind has been blowing the door shut. It is dark, and the roo has been trying to stand up to me. He's not been overly aggressive, just pecking as I reach for a hen, and even coming off the roost when I'm putting a hen in the coop. Should I be concerned? During the day, I can't get close enough to touch him without food, and he just does his usual protective stuff when I pick a hen up.

2. DavidKerk

DavidKerk Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2013
    Golfballs in the nest are fine. A great way to see if a chicken is broody! About the aggression, you need to establish yourself as the top rooster. To do this never let him mate in your sight. This is what dominant roosters naturaly do. Also, if you need to walk by him or something don't go around him, go confidently strait to were you need to go. If he ever tries to attack you, give him a little wack, don't run away, be assertive. I hope this helps!

Last edited: Mar 21, 2013
  3. lablover

Apr 7, 2012
    .Yes, and I'm happy to know that I've been doing some of those things! :)

But how exactly would I keep him from mating in my sight???

4. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    Kick him off. Literally.

5. lablover

Apr 7, 2012
    That's what I was thinking, but it happens so fast!

6. DavidKerk

DavidKerk Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2013
    Then just run after him and try too. Even if you're too late, give him a little swat.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by