Protein amount separation for quail

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Ahmed Milhan, Apr 19, 2017.

1. Ahmed Milhan

Ahmed Milhan New Egg

Dec 25, 2016
    Dear Friends,
    I really wonder if you can help me out of this doubt please.
    Scenario: I’m planning to feed my quail both factory made dry feed contain 20% CP and chopped barely sprout contain about 20% of protein in 50:50 ratio of amount.

Doubts need to be clarified.
    Say for example, buying 0.5kg of dry feed and preparing 0.5kg of chopped barely sprouts. Therefore by reducing half from each, does it affect the protein in half like 10% + 10% = 20% of protein or without effecting the amount of protein by reducing the amount feed would be 20% + 20% = 40 % of protein?

2. SunHwaKwon

SunHwaKwon Overrun With Chickens

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    It would stay the same. You calculate it by multiplying the amount and protein of each and adding them together and then dividing by the final amount.

(P1*A1)+(P2*A2) = (PF*AF)

P= protein, A = amount, F = final

(.2)(.5kg)+(.2)(.5kg) = x (1kg)

x = (.1 + .1)/1kg --> 20% protein

This is the formula you could use for different protein amounts to get a final desired protein amount. For example, my fermented feed is 8% protein grains mixed with 28% starter feed that produces a final mixed yield of 20% protein.

To clarify what seems to confuse you, the protein percentage is the same whether you have a tablespoon of the food or a cup or a gram or a pound, each will be the same protein percentage. Now if it said 1 cup of protein per pound (which would be stupid), then you would have do calculations to figure out your percentage and go from there.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
  3. Ahmed Milhan

Ahmed Milhan New Egg

Dec 25, 2016
  4. SunHwaKwon

SunHwaKwon Overrun With Chickens

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    Glad I can help and hopefully that was not too confusing lol. Math can be hard to explain!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by