Protein and Egg Laying

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by kitchwitch, Dec 20, 2010.

1. kitchwitch

kitchwitch Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2009
    Greensburg, Pa
    My hens are kept in a coop with no supplemental heat or light in the winter and I was wondering if upping their protein intake might spur some more egg laying? Right now I have four 3 year old hens giving me (if I'm lucky) about 2 eggs a week. They have plenty of food and water and while I understand that lack of light and heat will cause a drop in egg production, I didn't fathom it being this low.

Neither light nor heat are an option for this coop; it's on the opposite end of my property and I'm not running extension cords that far which is why I wanted to ask this question.

Thanks for any advice you have!

2. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    I doubt it. Since it's winter and they have no supplemental heat they are going to be eating plenty more than their normal ration anyways, and taking in plenty of protein along with it.

I'd suggest giving them some scratch for extra energy. Maybe 10 to 20% of what they are eating each day. With the added scratch they should still be getting enough protein from their regular ration, won't be burning it for energy, and can put it to use laying eggs.

3. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    Right now I have four 3 year old hens giving me (if I'm lucky) about 2 eggs a week.

Their age is playing a role here as well.​

4. kitchwitch

kitchwitch Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2009
    Greensburg, Pa
    Thanks all!
    I do know that age is also a factor, and I had planned on culling this spring when my pullets started laying; I was hoping the old girls would be producing through winter, but as that doesn't seem likely they may be biting the dust earlier than planned. I'll try out the scratch though, and see what happens. Thanks again!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by