Protein Content

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bannerdb, Sep 24, 2011.

1. bannerdb

bannerdb Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2011
    Donegal, Ireland
    My ISA girls have all stopped laying. I'm not sure if it's down to decreasing daylight (they are getting 11-12 hours per day at the moment) or if the protein content of their mash is too low. The content of their current feed is 15.5%. Is this too low for them? Maybe the previous owner had a higher content feed. I have had them 3 weeks and they laid for the first two. i am installing an artifical light in the coop today. Please help!![​IMG]

2. FrenchToast

FrenchToast "Draft Apple Ridge" a Bit from Heaven

Jan 10, 2010
    UP North WI
    I feed a 21 % protien that I have made at the locl feed mill. It is a bt higher then most over the counter layer mixe
    Do you think your hens are moutling? They will slow down or stop laying if they are going thru a moult. To help them get thru the moult in good condition and quicker you would want to increase your protien. Also make sure you have fresh clean water at all times. If they go without water for one day they can stop laying as well.

Good luck with your chickens, keep us posted.

3. bannerdb

Jul 16, 2011
    Donegal, Ireland
    Hi Frenchtoast. No they aren't molting as far as I can tell. No loose feathers in the coop or in the run. I might try and up their protein content and see if that helps. Am I right in thinking that they don't molt in their first year anyway? They are only 6months old. Thanks for your help![​IMG]

4. FrenchToast

Jan 10, 2010
    UP North WI
    So how long have you had them ? They must have just started laying about a month or so ago right ? Hope someone else can shed some light here. I'm curious to find out why they would quit so suddenly. Were they laying on a regular basis? and if so for how long?
    Another Byc'r was saying that the first year the hens don't need the extra light. She only adds it their second year and continues each year. Said it has been working that way for years for her.

5. bannerdb

Jul 16, 2011
    Donegal, Ireland
    Sorry, I meant to say that they are only 9 months old. My Roo is 6 months. I have had them for 3 weeks. They laid one egg each every day for the first 2 and a half weeks and then all of a sudden, nothing.

Could my rooster may be causing the problem? They came from an environment where there was no rooster present. Would they be stressed out because of him? I thought that the roo would have had a more immidiate effect, not 2 weeks later?

Last edited: Sep 24, 2011
  6. FrenchToast

Jan 10, 2010
    UP North WI
    Could be stress still from the move. Can't remember, did mention if they go without water for I think it is a day they can stop laying.You might want to extend their lighting to 14 hrs. Do it early enough in the morning before the sun come up. Then you can have it turn off after it gets light outside. This way they will come in on their own, if they free range, when it starts to get dark outside. You want them to get in by themselves before it gets dark and you wouldn't want the lghts to still be on. You don't want the lights to be on and suddenly turn off.
    Hope that makes sense. I"m getting tired. Time for bed !!

7. bannerdb

Jul 16, 2011
    Donegal, Ireland
    They have fresh water every day yes. Im putting a light in tonight. Thank you very much Frenchtoast. Sleep well!![​IMG]

8. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

I'd also up the protein of the feed. It couldn't hurt.

9. bannerdb

Jul 16, 2011
    Donegal, Ireland
    Fred's Hens :

I'd also up the protein of the feed. It couldn't hurt.

What level of protein would you say I should be feeding them? Upwards of 16%?​

10. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

ISA is a highly selected, patented hybrid. If you truly have ISAa, (a lot of folks pawn off generic RSLs for ISA) then they will require a slightly better feed to be as productive as they can be. 300-330 eggs per pullet year.

It just may well be the move. Or worms. Or lice. But most likely, it is somewhat a combination. Start with more light, early in the morning. Have it come on at 4:30 or 5:00 am. Then, be sure they "like" the feed you are using, as that too is a change for them. A quality layer feed should have 17% minimum protein, and many do not. Not even the "name brands". You can always supplement with a scoop of Flock Raiser of other 20% formula. (although Flock Raiser has low calcium)

Finally, going to ZERO eggs is a flock wide shock of some kind. Having poorer grade feed might reduce size, weight and number of eggs, but normally doesn't just shut them down. I also hesitate to suggest that age is also a factor. Since this is a popular commercial layer, I trust you know for certain these pullets are under 9 months old, for certain.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by