Protein during molt

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by kuntrychick, Oct 13, 2011.

1. kuntrychick

kuntrychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2009
    Alabama
    My chickens are molting...no eggs (or very few). I've got to get their protein up. I was gonna go sometime this week & get them some BOSS & some higher protein layer pellets (22% I believe it is).

I got them a Purina Flock Block & they tore that thing up big time! Devoured it in just a few days & wasn't eating near as much of their food. Then, they started molting.

I found them a couple crickets this afternoon & threw them over the fence.

What are some more things I can do to up their protein & how does more protein help with the molting process?

Oh, & sort of off topic...but have any of you noticed those flock blocks having a certain smell....I can't describe it but I kept thinking what is that smell? Then I figured out it was the flock block. It had rained a couple days after I put it out (which might have been what helped them to devour it so easily)...idk it was the first flock block I ever tried. Maybe they're supposed to smell like that.

2. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

Try giving them either wet or dry cat food. That is a great protein during there molt. I also use the flock block but my just kind of pick at it. Maybe yours ate it up because there little bodies were craving protein? Yes, the flock block does have a smell!

3. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    The BOSS, Flock Block and other such treats are unbalancing their amino acid intake. If it were me I'd feed them sparingly.

A little extra protein during a molt can be a good thing, but don't go crazy with it. An extra couple of percent is plenty, particularly if it's animal protein.

4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I do not feed them extra protein during the molt. They are not laying eggs so the protein that was going to make eggs now goes to making feathers. I know a lot of people on this forum add extra protein during a molt, but I personally do not see the benefit. As A. T. said, you can upset their balanced diet. They don't just need pure protein, they need vitamins, minerals, and other nutrients. I look at it that too much if a good thing is usually not a good thing. Some extra will not hurt at all, but I wouldn't overdo it.

But they are yours and you will find lots of support from people on here if yoou want to feed them extra. I'll just mention what I do and why. The decision is obviously yours.

5. pawsplus

pawsplus Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2008
    Middle TN
    I give mine Greek (full fat) yogurt, BOSS, eggs, and UltraKibble. But I do that all the time, LOL, not just when they're in moult. [​IMG] I make "chicken oatmeal" with layer pellets, BOSS, rolled oats, ground flax, yogurt, and 2 eggs--add a little water, mix very well, nuke 4 min and cool a bit in fridge. They go NUTS for that! [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 13, 2011
    1 person likes this.
  6. Tracydr

Tracydr Chillin' With My Peeps

I feed flock raiser (20%) and oyster shell on the side during molt. Used to have peafowl and they need tons of protein when molting to grow those tails. I'd give them some cat food and hard boiled eggs.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2011
  7. hudsonhousechicks

hudsonhousechicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2010
    Austin
    I put a can of tuna out once in awhile and they LOVE it.

8. Evelle

Evelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    North Idaho
    i didnt know that you where suposta up protein when they start molting... i mean it makes sence, they arent laying because they are using that protein to produce feathers instead of eggs..
    wow thanks for that mine are molting also and out of 30 birds i only get if im lucky 3 eggs a day [​IMG]

9. Tilly's Nest

Tilly's Nest Out Of The Brooder

Dec 2, 2010
    Cape Cod
    Try dried meal worms, sun flower seeds, plain yogurt instead of other treats. Also stick with the layer pellets. I have a post on my websit under "chicken health" that covers molting.[​IMG]

10. bustermommy

bustermommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    I mixed some higher protein meat bird crumble in with their layer to help them grow their feathers. Was this a bad idea? They also have free choice oyster shell and a daily treat of scratch (a cup and a half or so for 11 birds). Plus, whatever they find in the yard, scraps, etc.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by