protein feed

Bonnie sue

Chirping
May 22, 2017
my girls are losing there taste for pellets. have problems they some have a shell but is easy broke went to feed mill tried there scratch and he gave me wild bird feed protein 26% thought there production and shells would improve , well not so much now, there not laying much and the protein 26% they just dont like but try to inforce it anyways, im wasting my money, need advise from all you, what is the best feed, and protein amounts that hens need to lay more and stronger shells? help please, thanks ahead for your advise..they do free range alot when its not to cold to freeze. lol thanks

my girls are losing there taste for pellets. have problems they some have a shell but is easy broke went to feed mill tried there scratch and he gave me wild bird feed protein 26% thought there production and shells would improve , well not so much now, there not laying much and the protein 26% they just dont like but try to inforce it anyways, im wasting my money, need advise from all you, what is the best feed, and protein amounts that hens need to lay more and stronger shells? help please, thanks ahead for your advise..they do free range alot when its not to cold to freeze. lol thanks
The best feed is flock raiser at 20% protein, with free choice oyster shell on the side. It’s the calcium they are lacking, not protein. Take them off the bird seed - it’s not nutritious and way too high in carbs. Your chickens will eat pellets if that’s all you offer them. If they’re being picky, offer them nothing but the pellets and stop all treats, esp the bird seed. They will eat the pellets before starving to death.

Try a little experiment - take a small scoop of their pellets, and mix it with about an equal amount of water, and let it absorb in for a few minutes. Then give it a good stir. My chickens love this wet mash, even though it does take extra equipment to serve it in (bowls or trays). If it turns out too dry, add a little more water; if it's too soupy, add a touch more pellets.

They like a mash so when ever giving them new food make a mash with hot water. It should be just warm by the time you mix it and dump it out. if i add meds or electrolytes to their water the same thing. They will compete with each other to get some mash and get over the new taste.
Like said above, All flock ,flock raiser crumble and oyster shell on the side. My girls have been on it over a year.
Purina Flock Raiser Crumbles Premium Poultry Feed, 50 lb. at Tractor Supply Co.

So they stopped eating the pellets?
Find out why.
Were you feeding other foods/treats?
Was the feed old?
Look at milling dates, on sew band or nutrition tag.
i do feed them veggies and stuff when i have it and scratch. what brand do you use and think is good?

Back
Top Bottom