Protein Filled Treats????

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by chickie<3, Jul 10, 2010.

1. chickie<3

chickie<3 Chirping

Jul 6, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    I'm NEW to all this...My pullets are 5 weeks old. They started with chick starter and are now on developer until they start laying...then i'm told to give them layer food...I'm reading a lot on here about giving lots of protien because they are growing...i'm sure the developer has the right amount of protein but i'd like to give them more...what kind of treats can I give them that they would like that are high in protein ?

2. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Scrambled or boiled eggs.
    Meal worms..

3. chickie<3

chickie<3 Chirping

Jul 6, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Thanks!!!!!!!!!do I Put It In Their Feeder Or Just Throw It In Their Run Or Coop?

4. fldiver97

fldiver97 Songster

Aug 5, 2009
    Middleton, WI
    At that age I started giving little bits of plain yogurt, cottage cheese, scrambled or chopped up hard boiled eggs, cooked pasta, waxworms, mealworms as treats. Also some dry or cooked oatmeal. All just as treats and also they had grit available. Initially they were suspicious about some of the 'new' food except the worms and the cooked spaghetti - instant hit and amusing to watch them eat those. I then added other stuff, some greens, let them scratch for bugs, tried bananas ( they still don't like them). If you feed them grower feed they should get what they need but they love some of the the treats, eating grass, greens and bugs is natural

5. SmittenChicken

SmittenChicken Songster

Apr 23, 2010
    Mine really love meat and dairy products - you can give them sour milk, plain yogurt, cheese (but not the processed stuff!) and also things like wet cat food and leftover table scraps. Mine go crazy when I give them leftover salmon, beef, anything like that. They're like little velociraptors!
    If you want protein AND entertainment, it's lots of fun to give them live mealworms and crickets. I trap earwigs and other pests from the garden for them too.
    I think BOSS (black oil sunflower seeds) are pretty high in protein as well.

Are your chickens outside? If they're still in the brooder make sure they have access to grit or a little sand from outside if you're giving them treats!

6. Bloomie

Bloomie Chirping

Feb 10, 2010
    Rural Nevada
    chickie<3 :

Thanks!!!!!!!!!do I Put It In Their Feeder Or Just Throw It In Their Run Or Coop?

We put the worms on the ground and watch them play tag! [​IMG]
    Our Granchickie likes to dangle the wiggly morsels above the hens heads and make the hens work for'em. [​IMG]

We just toss the Black Sunflower seeds on the ground for them to scratch for.

Despite my attempts to teach all the birds table manners [​IMG] they always end up with treats, that began inna dish, on the ground [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: