Protein for chickens.

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by RodinaHomestead, Nov 25, 2014.

1. RodinaHomestead

RodinaHomestead New Egg

Nov 25, 2014
    Clyde, NC
    I was wondering what everyone does for protein. I have worm bed but now winter is here, I'm looking for alternatives. Does anyone feed grass-fed meats or cooked eggs??

2. mtngirl35

mtngirl35 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2013
    Tennessee
    I give my girls dried meal worms, cooked beans, scrambled eggs, and cooked meat.

1 person likes this.
  3. Julia62

Julia62 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2014
    Reno, NV
    I give mine a mixture of cooked ground beef, finely chopped broccoli, egg. They LOVE it! I warm it up slightly. It's a mixture I make for my dogs and now the ladies get it too. I give it to them about 3-4 times a week in the morning since it is cold now.

4. Cantonmentchickenmama

Cantonmentchickenmama Out Of The Brooder

Jun 27, 2011
    Cantonment, florida
    I scrambled eggs and add small curd cottage cheese or plain Greek yogurt.

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I like to feed an 'all flock' 20% protein crumble to all ages and genders. Makes life much simpler to store and distribute one type of chow that everyone can eat and have calcium available at all times for the layers, oyster shell mixed with rinsed, dried, crushed chicken egg shells in a separate container.
    The higher protein crumble offsets the 8% protein scratch grains and other kitchen/garden scraps I like to offer.

They get meat scraps, mealworms, cooked egg yolks, mice on occasion also.

6. spies04

spies04 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Minnesota
    Yogurt is a great barrier for their digestive track too. I received great information from a Back Yard friend to use yogurt to help improve their health during the cold winters because many illnesses start in their digestive systems and I can tell you it has so improved their life expectancy. I don't give it every day but at least a few times a week and they absolutely love it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by