Protein % for Runner Ducklings..and other info..?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Spike, Apr 16, 2009.

1. Spike

Spike Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2009
    NH VIA NYC
    I read on a UK site dedicated specifically to Runners that they shouldn't get the typical 20% starter / grower, but more like 15%. Just as other ducks will develop angel wing from too much protein, Runners can develop rough feathers.

It also says to give them wheat..., that they shouldn't be kept in as high a temp. as the others..., and that they should be encouraged to excersize more to develop their legs properly..

Opinions? Ideas?

I know.. Everyone's got one [​IMG]

2. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Well, since I believe angel wing is caused by too many carbohydrates and not enough greens, nothing I say will match what you read on that site [​IMG]

I use game bird feed and give greens daily along with letting my ducks free range in the yard. One is a runner and another is a runner mix. Their feathers look fantastic. Well, mostly. The runner mix is only 5 weeks old so she is still a tad scruffy, but the adult feathers that have come in are very smooth and shiny.

See for yourself...
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 16, 2009
  3. Spike

Spike Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2009
    NH VIA NYC
    Quote:Well, I wouldn't say that nothing would match. Ya' never know.

The site is: The Indian Runner Duck Association

To be fair, I've found researching any topic, hobby or whatever on line can prove to have many conflicting opinions / advice.

Your babies are beautiful BTW! Too bad I can't feel their feathers through the monitor though! lol

Thanks so much for your opinion / replying. [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 18, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by