protein % in duck starter?

naturemom

Songster
13 Years
May 28, 2007
northern IL
If all goes well, my ducklings should hatch on friday. Yesterday the duck starter from McMurray arrived and it has 24% protein, but Storey's guide to raising ducks says to give 18-20% protein for the 1st 2 weeks and then gradually cut it with oats to reduce the protein as they grow. Should I just start doing that right away? I calculated it with pearson's square and got equal parts feed and oats! If I do that, will it dilute the other nutrients in the feed too much? Would it be ok as long as I'm also fiving plenty of fresh greens? It's getting pretty late to order anything else (not to mention that this 1 bag was expensive enough!) and the feed stores around here don't have any organic feed.
Please don't tell me to just get purina for now. It's not going to happen.

I would use the starter only for the first week or so, then start adding the oats or maybe you could order something organic by then with lower protein to start to mix in?

I feed starter (about 24 to 28%) for 2 weeks then gradually cut in 16% gr4ower until laying age at which time I start cutting in 16% layer feed.

Back
Top Bottom