Protein levels - feed question

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by danschicks, Feb 5, 2009.

1. danschicks

danschicks Out Of The Brooder

Dec 14, 2008
    Virginia
    I am getting my first 25 cornish X in few days. I have a choice of a chick starter feed with 20% protein, 2.5% Fat and 6.0% Fiber. It also contains .0125% Amprolium. Or I can get turkey and game bird grower at 25% protein, 2% Fat and 5% fiber with no amprolium. I will probably only be able to raise them about 6 weeks before I process them. What feed would be my best bet to get a bigger bird? Would it be better to allow 24 hour feeding for more than the first 3 weeks seeing they will only go to 6. Your infinite wisdom is appreciated. Thanks

2. Brunty_Farms

Brunty_Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2007
    Ohio
    I would feed the 26% protein and feed 24 hours for only the first 2-3 weeks. After that I would at least give them a 6 hour break. They need the downtime otherwise you grow them too fast.

3. Harp Turkey Ranch

Harp Turkey Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2008
    McCleary, WA
    Yes if you are on a limited time frame the turkey food would be the best. The higher protein will make them GROW FAST. If feed ing them the high protein feed you will need to rest them from feed for overnight after 2 weeks, as we once didn't and after about 4-6 weeks they had bad leg problems and some died of heart attacks ??? But it was not pretty. But the ones that lived were nice and plump at 8 weeks. [​IMG]

4. jtownchickens

jtownchickens Out Of The Brooder

Jan 22, 2009
    Quote:Check with Greyfields, he is a mod on here and has been raising meat birds for quite awhile.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by