Protein, niacin, apple cider vinegar and calcium math questions.

LauraHope

Chirping
Apr 17, 2015
Bozeman mt
PROTIEN:
The smallest feed bag I could get at the feed store was a 25lb bag of the non soy and non corn feed that I wanted. I now have a 25 pound bag of "naturally free starter" by scratch and peck that I need to use up. It has a minimum 20.50% protein content.

*I understand that the 25lb bag will diminish in size so perhaps ratios of 3 measuring cup feed to 1/4 cup oats might make this easyer to understand and mix, when you reply. Thanks for your help!!

I was reading Storeys Guide to Raising Ducks and it suggests 18-20% protien for the first two weeks. I want to bring the protien level down from 20% to 18% to slow the growth of my ducklings. I don't want to rush growth and have larger animals or less life expectancy. These are australian spotteds so smaller size and long life are ideal for me as they are pets.

1.How many cups of rolled oats do I need to add, to bring the protein level down to 18% for there first 2 weeks?

For weeks three to eight, it's stated that 15%-16% protien is ideal.
2. How many cups oats do I need to bring the protien levels down to 15% in the feed?

I'm sure the bag will be gone by the time the 2 or 3 ducklings are nine weeks old. Then I will reassess and buy the proper stage feed.

NIACIN:
Storeys Guild to Raising Ducks says that niacin should be added to chick starter for the ducklings. It's states 100mg-150mg of niacin per gallon. There little water containers arnt a gallon but this is easy to fix by pre mixing it in a gallon container and saving it.

3. A bought Brewers yeast at the feed store but I don't know how to dose it to 1 gallon? I have a digital food scale but it doesn't have milligrams in its many measurements options.

3.5. What happens if you over dose niacin, can you really over does it?

APPLE CIDER VINIGAR:
4. How much per gallon should I add?
5. Can I add the vinegar in with the Brewers yeast water gallon containing? Will it harm the niacin while it sits waiting to be used up?

CALCIUM:
Its also stated in the book that the ratio for calcium should never be over 1% in weeks one to eight. But my feed says it contains max 1.30% and min 0.90% calcium.
6. Is this ok to have the max be over 1%?

Last edited:
Remember every percentage will change, not just the protein, when you add something.

Here are a few links that may have the answers you are looking for:

http://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=coo.31924003011545;view=1up;seq=1
http://naturalchickenkeeping.blogspot.com/2013/04/mix-your-own-chicken-feed-some.html
http://www.motherearthnews.com/homesteading-and-livestock/what-to-feed-chickens-zmaz75sozgoe.aspx
http://theelliotthomestead.com/2013/06/organic-homemade-chicken-feed/

Don't remember which link is which out of my bookmarks for making feed, on dial-up and it was taking too long to reload them.

the easiest solution is to buy the correct feed for now when it's most critical and use the other feed later mixed in a little at a time.

If you have to use it mix it by weight not volume. Mix 2# oats to 8# feed for 18.4%. Mix 1# to 1# for 15%. I would sprinkle the brewers yeast on the feed. It won't dissolve well in cold water plus I would not mix it with the vinegar. Mix 1 T vinegar in 1 G of water. Don't worry about the Ca level.

1T of brewers yeast has 1.2 g niacin so it's a miniscule amount you need to add. If you overdose, it's a water soluble vitamin so it will be excreted so it's not a problem. Just pricey poo.

Last edited:
the easiest solution is to buy the correct feed for now when it's most critical and use the other feed later mixed in a little at a time.

If you have to use it mix it by weight not volume. Mix 2# oats to 8# feed for 18.4%. Mix 1# to 1# for 15%. I would sprinkle the brewers yeast on the feed. It won't dissolve well in cold water plus I would not mix it with the vinegar. Mix 1 T vinegar in 1 G of water. Don't worry about the Ca level.

1T of brewers yeast has 1.2 g niacin so it's a miniscule amount you need to add. If you overdose, it's a water soluble vitamin so it will be excreted so it's not a problem. Just pricey poo.

Percheron chick. Thanks for replying.

Yes I've read that niacin is water soluble. So at least I don't have to worry about over dosing, thank gosh .:lol:

(In a whiny voice)-but I don't wannnnaaaa usssse a different feed. :p
Kidding. But really. I thought I'd use the best on the market, and not a "kibbles and bits" type feed. It's like individual little particles of food. I like that there's no corn.... Even if I did go get a kibbles and bits brand it wouldn't have the right middle ground protein that I want but I'm going to go to Murdochs right now in town and check to see if they have a somewhat reasonably smaller bag then a 25 pounder. I'm also going to go check Bridger feeds but they are much smaller Feed Store in town and are getting rid of a lot of their poultry stuff for the summer. I need to get vitamin powder from there too.

I don't understand how to lower the protien level by how you explained. I really apreciate you trying to help. I have a lot of difficulty with math and understanding things if math is involved unless someone tells me exactly, mix one measuring cup with

In the research and in Storeys Guide to Raising Ducks, it says to put the niacin or Brewers yeast in the water. I think it dissolved fine. Even if it settles to the bottom in their water dish, them dabbling will mix it up again into the water, whatever hadn't dissolved.

Remember every percentage will change, not just the protein, when you add something.

Here are a few links that may have the answers you are looking for:

http://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=coo.31924003011545;view=1up;seq=1
http://naturalchickenkeeping.blogspot.com/2013/04/mix-your-own-chicken-feed-some.html
http://www.motherearthnews.com/homesteading-and-livestock/what-to-feed-chickens-zmaz75sozgoe.aspx
http://theelliotthomestead.com/2013/06/organic-homemade-chicken-feed/

Don't remember which link is which out of my bookmarks for making feed, on dial-up and it was taking too long to reload them.

Thanks Eliza. I'm checking them out now but I need to use this feed and my mathematical skills are terrible. There are great feeds out there and I am ok with spending the money in it for now. I just didn't realize I'd want to have such a lower protien content. I thought I researched and knew the only thing I needed to add was the niacin.

Last edited:
I'm on my phone so it's hard to type everything out. Oats are about 10% protein and the feed is 20.5%. If I take 50% (.5) oats, that's 5%. Add the 50% feed and that's 10.25. 15.25%. For the other calculation, 80% (.8) feed is 16.4% plus 20%(.2) for 2 for 18.4%. You have a scale. Weigh out 4 oz oats. Now weight 1# feed. Mix then together and you have your 18% blend. 1 C oats will weight less than 1 C feed so you can't substitute the unit of measurement.

I'm on my phone so it's hard to type everything out. Oats are about 10% protein and the feed is 20.5%. If I take 50% (.5) oats, that's 5%. Add the 50% feed and that's 10.25. 15.25%. For the other calculation, 80% (.8) feed is 16.4% plus 20%(.2) for 2 for 18.4%. You have a scale. Weigh out 4 oz oats. Now weight 1# feed. Mix then together and you have your 18% blend. 1 C oats will weight less than 1 C feed so you can't substitute the unit of measurement.

Good to know the about using weight instead of measure. I have not gone that far into my research. We plan on trying to grow our own feed eventually, so I have been doing research.

What does the 1# feed mean?

I have 4 oz oats measured out, how much feed to I add to that?

Last edited:
Super, thank you Percheron chick
1f600.png

So to get my feed to 18% protein, I mix 4 oz. oats with 1lb feed to make 18% protien.

What ratio for the 15% protien? I'm mixing there 18% right now.

Back
Top Bottom