Protein Percentages and Molting

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by rodriguezpoultry, Sep 20, 2009.

1. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    My birds are in full-blown molt and I am changing their diet to help cope with that. They are show birds, so the better the feathering, the easier it will be on me and them.

They have been on 16-17% protein layer pellets with BOSS as a treat for the past 5 months. I just wormed them last night (every 6 months) and am switching their diet.

They are going to be fed medicated chick starter (22% protein), with BOSS, a handful of whole oats and some minnows from the local bait shop.

Is this diet going to be able to sustain them for long? I do not intend to get viable eggs from this, but fully intend on eating the eggs, I am not worried about coccidiostats in my diet.

In other words, will this diet keep them healthy and help their feathers come in better shape than they would have had they remained on the layer pellets diet?

2. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Also try black oil sunflower seeds too. [​IMG]

3. cgmccary

cgmccary Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    NE Alabama
    I like the idea of the chick starter since it has a higher protein %; however, I would try & get an "unmedicated" starter. Consumption of excessive amounts of ionophore feed additives can reduce overall longevity (by leading to heart failure).

Excessive amounts of sodium additives in feed (and why I am generally against feeding cat food to chickens) does the same thing. [Added: the coccidostat actually amplifies the sodium as well & it is worse for adult birds: http://www.worldpoultry.net/health-diseases/i/ionophore-toxicity-54.html

The
    reason I bring this up is because if I have an adult hen to die prematurely, I send her to the State lab to determine cause of death. Sudden death by heart attacks are often caused for this reason (eliminating other causes: i.e. air quality or ventilation problems; previous bacterial or viral infections or ingestion of certain toxic plants such as coffee senna or crotalaria).

The minnows are a great idea & one I've done myself.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2009
  4. rstampa

rstampa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    Tampa, Florida
    What exactly is Boss? I've never heard of it but you all seem to know what it is.
    The change in diet for helping feather production during a molt has little effect. I've had all types of Exotic and some not so Exotic birds including chickens for over 40 years now. And I know that when a healthy bird molts there is a fixed amount of time for this procession to completed. So whatever you do will not change that face. Just give your bird the hight quality feed you have been feeding it. This will keep her health and each mole will produce better and better feathering.
    You don't what to add extra fats and high protein once they reach adult hood. This will shorten their lives and egg production.
    Just my thoughts and bayous opinion.

I do like the minnow idea too. What do you do? Just put them in a dish and let her have at it?

[​IMG]

5. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

b.hromada :

Also try black oil sunflower seeds too. [​IMG]

BOSS=black oil sunflower seeds​

6. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Quote:BOSS=black oil sunflower seed

7. rstampa

Jun 18, 2009
    Tampa, Florida
    Thanks for the info on the Boss. They carry a different brand at my feed store.
    I'm a little confused. Cgmccary was talking about cat food but I didn't see the OP mentioning cat food in her diet. I know it's getting late but did I miss something?

8. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    No, I just don't feed cat food. I'm fairly certain that cgmccary was just giving a general statement about why she doesn't use catfood, one I support completely by the way... I've never done it except for in birds that are very emaciated or lethargic.

Sorry, BOSS is just an abbreviation for black oil sunflower seeds. No specific brand necessary, just make sure they are not hulled and that there is no added sodium.

Unfortunately I can't seem to find unmedicated chick starter in the protein levels that I want. The only place I could find it was at TSC but the protein was at 15%. Not exactly what I had in mind...

9. rstampa

Jun 18, 2009
    Tampa, Florida
    Quote:Purina Starter Grow has 18% protein and no medication. Also MannaPro has a feed for show chickens. It has 22% protein no medication. It is not a Start Grow. It is for adult birds. Here is the link if you what to check it out. Let me know if the link it works.
    [​IMG] http://mannapro.com/poultry_cond.html

Last edited: Sep 21, 2009
  10. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    You can try;
    Kent Feed - High Flyer 22...............22% Pro.
    - High Flyer 28...............28% Pro.

Buckeye - Big 4............................20% Pro.

Kalmbach - Premium Layer.............20% Pro.
    - 1044PL (Pelleted).........21% Pro.
    - 1044 (crumble)............21% Pro.

I don't know if you can get the Kalmbach out there or not.
    All 6 feed I listed are non medicated..

Chris

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by