1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Protein percentages

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by SowdersHomestead, Oct 15, 2011.

1. SowdersHomestead

SowdersHomestead Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2011
    Fostoria, Ohio
    I've noticed during my time of preparing for the arrival of my meaties, some hatcheries suggest 18%, 20% or 22% for starter feed. Whats the big difference and how does it effect the birds during their development?

2. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:The more protein, the faster the growth. However, what seems to be a good thing(i.e., faster growth), will lead to bone and joint problems if you let the bird grow past 8-10 weeks. Good luck.......Pop

3. jessicayarno

jessicayarno Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2011
    Pacific Northwest
    I am starting mine on a 25% broiler chick starter until 3wks then dropping to a 20% broiler grower until processing.. keeping them on too high of a percentage can cause leg and heart problems, because they will grow faster.. Everybody that I know that keeps them on 20% doesn't have to do the 12 on 12 off and they don't have leg and heart problems.. It is really your preference, I am just doing what has worked for alot of people i know..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by