1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

protein requirements for full grown roosters?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by LAFreewayChickens, Sep 13, 2012.

1. LAFreewayChickens

LAFreewayChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

can anyone tell me what the protein requirements are for full-grown roosters?

I am guessing they need less protein than layers or growing broilers.

I've got a pen with some extra roosters that aren't immediately headed to the chopping block, and I'm wondering if I can dilute their feed with some lower protein grains and save some on feed costs.

2. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

What are the roosters for again?

You could try it and see if they lose condition or health...

3. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    The issue with layer feed is more the calcium content not the protein levels.

4. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    If you are using the roosters for meat I wouldn't feed anything less than a 18% protein unless you want to feed them for a longer time period.

Chris

5. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    When of mature weight and feather I go as low as 14% crude protein. When turnning feathers over in molt then bump it up to 18% or so.

6. LAFreewayChickens

LAFreewayChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks centrarchid, this is exactly what I was trying to find out, about mature roosters.

In response to other questions about these roosters, some are being kept for future breeding, but are not in with hens now. Others are waiting for new homes. Once we get rid of the latter group, we'll be less concerned about the feed costs of the few being kept for breeding.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by