Protein source in chickens

KranK

Songster
Jul 13, 2020
Poland
What are safe protein sources (plant ones would be the best) for lets say homemade chicken feed? I know about soy but what are others?

I'd just buy the right type of feed. Fodder is really only useful in the autumn. I know that some companies are starting to farm bugs as chicken food, maybe see if you can buy that?
I was looking forward to something you can grow yourself. You know, like beans are pretty good in protein etc. but idk if chickens can eat things like this. Right now i've got store bought feed.

I was looking forward to something you can grow yourself. You know, like beans are pretty good in protein etc. but idk if chickens can eat things like this. Right now i've got store bought feed.
I would never just feed them beans or soy, not a balanced diet, too much protein. I know you can grow fodder in the fall to cut feed costs but that is seasonal...try harvesting mealworms as treats, chickens love them.

I would never just feed them beans or soy, not a balanced diet, too much protein. I know you can grow fodder in the fall to cut feed costs but that is seasonal...try harvesting mealworms as treats, chickens love them.
I don't mean only soy and beans but them as a protein source in the feed. I know a bit about fodders but i'd like to know "dry" protein that you can just mix up with the rest of feed and give to chickens till the end of the feed.

Back
Top Bottom