MolliMonster99

Songster
Jul 22, 2021
I have 6 runner ducks and 5 ISA brown hens, who I spoil very much with small amounts of fresh fruit and veg almost every day. I always check online to make sure that anything I'm planning on letting my flock try is safe for them.

Giving them their treats has actually improved my mental health and diet, as I tend to munch on some of the fruits I give my feathered babies. Also, going out to see them and give them treats has become a vital part of my routine that makes me feel relaxed and safe.

I was wondering if fish bought from the supermarket is safe for my ducks and chickens to eat? Things like canned tuna or fish fillets? Could I cut up a cod fillet and give it to them raw or should I cook it? Is this safe for ducks and chickens?

It might sound like a dumb question if ducks can eat fish, but I don't think the pet shops in the UK sell feeder fish like I've heard some shops in the US do. Also, I don't think I could feed cute little guppies to my flock. Thanks in advance! 😅

Boiled eggs are good treats, they can have fish too, there's no reason to think they wouldn't be safe unless they smell off or something but I think the chickens would eat it before the ducks. my chickens love salmon. Try not to give them too much fresh fruit and vegetables, it's actually considered treats, think about maybe four fingered pinch per chicken/duck.

Boiled eggs are good treats, they can have fish too, there's no reason to think they wouldn't be safe unless they smell off or something but I think the chickens would eat it before the ducks. my chickens love salmon. Try not to give them too much fresh fruit and vegetables, it's actually considered treats, think about maybe four fingered pinch per chicken/duck.
I basically get a mixture of fruit or veg, put it on their treat tray and offer it to them. At one point I was giving them too much, but I've learned the correct amount to feed them now. I'd probably say they get a tablespoon or two each of whatever fruit or veg I've put down? It's hard to give a rough estimate, but I know it's not a lot by looking at it, if you know what I mean.

Do you give your chickens the salmon raw or cooked?

scrambled eggs with chia seeds mixed in are my ducks favorite protein treat
This is going to sound so silly, but I haven't actually given my ducks or chickens any of their eggs to eat. It makes me feel weird thinking about it? I'm probably just overthinking about birds eating their own eggs, but I can't get over it 😅

This is going to sound so silly, but I haven't actually given my ducks or chickens any of their eggs to eat. It makes me feel weird thinking about it? I'm probably just overthinking about birds eating their own eggs, but I can't get over it 😅
it was weird to me at first too, but they love it lol and it’s super healthy for them! i personally would never eat the eggs (or sell them) so any eggs they don’t eat just get thrown away and i feel bad doing that

it was weird to me at first too, but they love it lol and it’s super healthy for them! i personally would never eat the eggs (or sell them) so any eggs they don’t eat just get thrown away and i feel bad doing that
See, I can eat the chicken eggs fine, but I feel like that's because I've always eaten chicken eggs and I've never hatched chicks. However, before I got my ducks I had never eaten duck eggs, but after hatching my ducks I cannot bring myself to eat them! 😂

We also have family and friends who love our eggs, so we don't really have many left over after giving them away 😂

I basically get a mixture of fruit or veg, put it on their treat tray and offer it to them. At one point I was giving them too much, but I've learned the correct amount to feed them now. I'd probably say they get a tablespoon or two each of whatever fruit or veg I've put down? It's hard to give a rough estimate, but I know it's not a lot by looking at it, if you know what I mean.

Do you give your chickens the salmon raw or cooked?
They'll eat either raw or cooked, I don't think they care. Canned fish is a good treat but if you give them too much fish over a week (it the would take a lot), their eggs can taste fishy.
Sounds they're doing great!

Back
Top Bottom