Protein

I think it depends on the type of bird. If a skinny layer type the 16% is perfect. A larger dual purpose bird would do better with 18+% as they are maintaining that mass and producing eggs.

I raise dual purpose and have growing birds every year so use a 20% protein all flock type feed. Only one type of feed for entire flock makes things easy so toss oyster shells out once or twice a week for calcium supplement for active layers.

I think it depends on the type of bird. If a skinny layer type the 16% is perfect. A larger dual purpose bird would do better with 18+% as they are maintaining that mass and producing eggs.

I raise dual purpose and have growing birds every year so use a 20% protein all flock type feed. Only one type of feed for entire flock makes things easy so toss oyster shells out once or twice a week for calcium supplement for active layers.
I've got 2 EE, a PBR and a BCM. I've been feeding 16%, but my intuition says the 19% would be the better option for them.

It depends on how you are feeding it, and what else you are giving them. I give 16% layer. the fermentation process produces extra lysine and methionine. My birds do not get much in the way of scratch grains. But, I do sprout grains/seeds for them in the winter. Many others give more than 16%. I suggest that you read some studies, do some research, and make your decision based on that.

In my experience with my current flock of duel purpose chickens, 5 Golden Comets. A 18% Protein layers pellet is ideal. Last summer I switched to a 16% layers pellet with flax seed, for the healthier eggs. I fed them 3 bags and was not happy with their appearance or behavior. I found a 18% layers pellet with flax seed, and after a month or so their appearance and behavior improved to their previous selves, like when I was feeding a 18% layers pellet without flax.
So in my opinion, I believe a feed with 18/20 percent Protein, from day old chicks up to onset of lay and throughout adulthood, for a backyard flock of chickens is ideal.
I fed my day old chicks a 18% Start and Grow till they were ready to lay, and then I mixed the crumble with pellets for 2 weeks, and mixed the pellets with scratch grains and tossed on dry ground, and they scoffed up the pellets without a fuss.
As a treat I have switched to mixed wild bird seed mixed 50/50 with layers pellets scattered on the ground, twice a day, 3 times in sub freezing temps. They still scoff up the pellets like it was junk food, at 22 months of age. GC

What Layer feed do you all use that has the higher protein amounts. I am feeding Southern States All Grain Layer and really like the quality of it but I think my Dual Purpose breeds need more protein.
what brands do you use that have higher protein % than 16%. Thanks.

What Layer feed do you all use that has the higher protein amounts. I am feeding Southern States All Grain Layer and really like the quality of it but I think my Dual Purpose breeds need more protein.
what brands do you use that have higher protein % than 16%. Thanks.
Nutrina Naturewise Hearty Hen pellets, 18% Protein, soy free, with flax. GC

Thanks - yes Southern States has Specialty Flock (gamebird) Breeder feed. It is 21% protein and the calcium is slightly lower than their chicken Layer 16% layer feed. Was already thinking I might try that.
So is it ok to feed something like a FlockRaiser or Gamebird feed or a Grower feed to laying chickens? Is a separate dish of Oyster Shell sufficient to keep egg shell quality good. I really think my hens need more than a 16% feed. I have had them All on a meat bird grower 20% feed becasue of a late Molt AND because I am introducing some new pullets (not egg laying age just yet). I am also providing oyster Shell in a dish for the layers to use. Since starting the 20% feed (and since molt is now over) I am getting 9 eggs a day from 9 laying hens! I know eggs are better after a molt but I am starting to think the additional protein

Back
Top Bottom