Protein

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by J99, Nov 13, 2019.

1. J99

J99 Songster

Jul 25, 2019
    Kentucky
    My Coop
    How much protein is to much protein and how much is to little? ive heard chickens and ducks benefit from protein but everyone says but not to much protein. No one gives an exact amount and that can really be a vast difference in ones understanding without exact knowledge .
    So in a day, a week, a month how many times should I feed my flock protein based foods?

mixedUPturk and cavemanrich like this.
  2. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Enabler

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    In general terms, Protein is not something you purchase like, 10 pound bag of, and give quantities of it to your chickens.
    Chicken feed is formulated to contain a balanced portion of essential nutrients. 16% protein is considered the minimum. I feed my hens 18% Alflock, works well for me. There is higher protein feed available. All depends on the use/purpose. Broilers being raised quickly need their specific feed. Feather fixer is a higher protein feed to aid hens getting new feathers quicker.
    If you do end up with some higher protein feed, it is OK to just let them eat it. There is no harm in that. Some side effects, are runnier stools, and smellier as well.
    WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :highfive:

3. J99

J99 Songster

Jul 25, 2019
    Kentucky
    My Coop
    Ohh ok well I meant added snacks like I give mine yogurt sometimes or oatmeal or ham ( only tiny bits of ham not everyone even gets a bite, but man they love it ) and meal worms but these treats are not even weekly

mixedUPturk and Barbs Girls like this.
  4. casportpony

casportpony Enlightened

Jun 24, 2012
    One of my books says that diets in excess of 30% protein can be harmful.

5. Tycine1

Tycine1 Crowing

May 26, 2009
    David, Chiriquí, Panama
    Added protein snacks should offer more protein than their feed (especially if they're molting) UNLESS you're specifically trying to reduce their protein intake. Different species of birds require differing amounts of protein, which is what makes buying feed for your specific breed of bird whenever possible is recommended. As an example, chickens require less protein than quail or ducks. I feed my chickens QUAIL food... and I use treats to reduce their overall protein to avoid health problems down the road, specifically gout and obesity. A fat hen will have problems laying, which could lead to death. An excessive intake of fatty foods such as suet (flock blocks) and sunflower seed can cause Fatty Liver Hemorrhagic Syndrome. It is as nasty as it sounds and it can kill your hen without much warning. Fat tends to build up around the liver and the liver becomes soft and more prone to bleeding. A hen straining to lay an egg can simply bleed to death.
    Long story short; read the label on your feed packaging to determine what's in it, nutritionally speaking, and offer treats of no more than 10% of the total weight (not volume) to supplement any shortcomings. The normal standard for chicken feed in the States is between 18-20% protein.
    You mentioned feeding ham to your flock, just be mindful of the salt in it... I feed my girls a bit of shredded, raw bacon now and again, and you're right... they love it. They love raw hamburger too. I consider meat treats as the ultimate insect replacement :D

6. J99

J99 Songster

Jul 25, 2019
    Kentucky
    My Coop
    I’ll check the labels tomorrow but this is what I just started feeding them

Attached Files:

mixedUPturk likes this.
  7. Tycine1

Tycine1 Crowing

May 26, 2009
    David, Chiriquí, Panama
    I tried to google that product to save you the time, but was unable to find it online. Judging only by the types of birds it claims to be good for, I'd estimate that that feed should offer between 20-30% protein. Let us know tomorrow when you check the guaranteed analysis of the feed.

mixedUPturk likes this.
  8. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Enabler

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    Your feed is just fine:thumbsup, it is 18% protein. Same as what I use.
    Opera Snapshot_2019-11-13_204354_www.ruralking.com.png
    Just a little background on my personal chicken keeping. Have been keeping chickens as pets in my Urban Backyard for over 20 years now.
    Small flock, but all my chickens live long lives. Longest was 13 years. last one to pass lived 11 years. Many lived 8 to 10 years. Yes,,, some were shortened by predators:hit(raccoon) I don't eat my chickens. Do eat the eggs.:thumbsup
    I feed treats way in excess of the 10% FEDERATION LAW.:p:gig,, I only give things appropriate to chicken diet. No sweets. I will give leftover people dinner to them with the salt in food as for human consumption, including meat. :drool None of my chickens have been dropping dead as result.
    My message; Don't be scared out of your pants, that some minor thing will cause your chickens to go to the RAINBOW BRIDGE.:old

mixedUPturk and Ratchnick like this.
  9. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Enabler

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    I agree with you there.... but I don't know of a chicken feed that comes close to 30% protein. :idunno
    Only thing that I know of at 30% or higher in protein, (readily available),, is Dry Cat Food. My chickens do snack on some when possible, but it is not their main source of food. Cat food is also too high of a protein level for dogs. Some, wont kill them,,, but it is not an alternative to dog food.

mixedUPturk likes this.
  10. Kiki

Kiki Is your thermometer calibrated?

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    Not labeled 'chicken' but it has a chicken on the bag.
    :lau

http://bryantgrainco.com/index.php/28-game-bird-krumble/

Screenshot_20191113-213701.png

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: