1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

protein

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by honduran chicken, Aug 13, 2013.

1. honduran chicken

honduran chicken New Egg

Nov 12, 2011
    Hello I live on an island in Honduras and I can only get livestock feed (I think it's meant for hogs) that is 12% protein. I can't get mealworms or earthworms. I can get beans and sunflower seeds. Is supplementing with those enough? Any other suggestions?

2. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Chicken Obsessed

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    sunflower seeds would be good, though I'm not sure about the protein value and if they might be too high in fat. Not sure about beans. I've read some advice that you can increase protein by supplementing with dry cat food... but then I've also read advice from others stating that cat food is very bad for chickens. You might want to research that option as that might be the easiest (IMO). What's in hog feed? You might also want to do some research re: fermented feed and mix your own blend of whole or cracked grains. All I can offer you is ideas, not advice!!! Good luck.

3. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    Sunflowers are a great protein source at around 40%. They probably eat a fair amount of bugs that are very high in protein as well. You can also give them fish and meat scraps for protein. Beans will work but cook them first. Pig feed can work. You do not want medicated and if you can find a feed for piglets, it will be better than adult pig feed. One thing you will need to add is a calcium source. That can be done with limestone, shells from any shellfish (oyster, crab, shrimp, clams) and chicken eggshells.

4. honduran chicken

honduran chicken New Egg

Nov 12, 2011
    Thanks for the replies. I have been crushing their egg shells and feeding them to them daily. Are whole sunflower seeds OK to feed them...I tried crushing them in a food processor and it didn't work.
    What should the ratio be of hog food to sunflower seeds and cooked red beans?

5. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    Beans are 26% protein. If you feed equal parts (by weight not volume) feed, beans and SF, you will end up with a mixture that is 26% protein (not counting bugs). 12% + 26% + 40% = 78 %. 78 divided by 3 is 26%. Higher than you want. I wouldn't worry too much about trying to hit a certain percentage. Throw the SF and beans out as a scratch/treat (mine eat the SF whole with the hulls). If you have one part SF and beans to 2 parts feed, you still are going to be slightly high at 19%. Protein is the most expensive component of feed so no need to over feed it.

The quality of the eggs and shells and the rate of growth in meatbirds will tell you if you're hitting a good balance.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by