Protein

Discussion in 'Quail' started by havensteinjohn, Oct 17, 2013.

1. havensteinjohn

havensteinjohn Out Of The Brooder

Sep 4, 2013
    Kansas
    Basically all I have in my area available for quail feed is Purina Flock Raiser:
    http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/purinareg;-flock-raiserreg;-sunfreshreg;-recipe-crumble-50-lb

It is only 20% protein. The other Farm store in town has some stuff that is 22% protein, but it is a little bit more expensive and a smaller quantity.

What can I add to their diet to increase protein? I have heard of hard boiling eggs, is there anything else that works? How much egg per day per bird? Anything to push me in the right direction would be appreciated. They seem to be doing fine on the 20% protein stuff, but I am a newbie and don't know for sure.

2. havensteinjohn

Sep 4, 2013
    Kansas
    The breed I am raising in Cortunix

3. havensteinjohn

Sep 4, 2013
    Kansas
  4. zbraswell92

zbraswell92 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2011
    Roswell, Ga
    I've just ordered some organic feather meal from Amazon.com.
    It's 80% protein, easily digestible, and has a complete amino acid range.
    Flock Raiser is vegetarian and quail crave animal protein!
    I would either add fishmeal, bloodmeal, feathermeal or a combination of them to their feed.
    It's very healthy for them!

5. zbraswell92

zbraswell92 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2011
    Roswell, Ga
  6. Quailsong

Quailsong Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2013
    Call me picky, but I personally wouldn't use any of those from unknown sources. Better to farm your own sources or get from a local source you trust. There's metal toxins, antibiotics, & disease to consider when buying some or all of these. Esp mass-produced brands that care more about quantity than quality.

Fishmeal can be raised/harvested in your backyard. I do it with fish in tubs, grow duckweed in it (bonus) & the water run-off goes to the garden (double bonus). Too much fishmeal btw will leave a fishy taste in eggs.

Bloodmeal you can get as fresh blood from culling spare quail. Even innards can go back to the birds, esp liver.

Feathermeal is simply feathers left in your deep litter. The quail could pick them out as needed. Too many folks raising quail on wire, taking away benefits then paying to bring it back into their flock.

OP, a good source of meat protein is bugs. Normally I'd say put them on grass but if you're getting into an autumn or cold season like I'm getting here in Canada then it's good to have an alternate supply. Generally, the more bugs, the tastier the eggs too!

Mealworms - If you're not allergic to them or the midge fly (bloodworms) then these are a good source of protein. You can grow a tub of thousands, freeze them over the winter & have an endless supply - all for a few bucks (to get started) & some old grains.

Black Soldier Fly (BSF) - Can be fairly easy to catch outdoors with the right trap. They're in much of NA, probably overseas as well. You can farm 'em & even have the larvae march right into a collection bag. There's lots of tuts online to build these tubs, just Youtube: 'Black Soldier Fly Harvesting". They eat food scraps, even stuff your quail won't touch.

Those are just a few ideas. Best of luck!

1 person likes this.
  7. havensteinjohn

Sep 4, 2013
    Kansas
    I have heard of people supplementing Ground up Cat food or egg? Is this a good way to do it? If so, how much? I have chickens as well, and way too many eggs! I could easily afford to feed my quail a dozen chicken eggs per week.

What would the long term effect be of feeding low protein food (20%)? Sorry for all the questions... I am new to this and trying to learn all I can.

JH

8. cccresteds

cccresteds Out Of The Brooder

Jul 2, 2013

9. cccresteds

cccresteds Out Of The Brooder

Jul 2, 2013
    I give my outside a couple hard boiled eggs once a week mixed in there food, along with some ground up high protien cat food. Wisconsin gets cold, so I try to increase there body fat a little bit.

10. jsdobson

jsdobson Out Of The Brooder

Sep 9, 2013
    Gray GA
    20 percent is fine!!! The extra stuff is not necessary. They will live just fine on 20.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by