Proterty came with 34 Chickens

Mamalana

Chirping
Mar 17, 2023
Hi y'all.

We just bought a property that came with 34 chickens. I can ID some, but not sure about all of them. I got some pictures from when they were in the coup for the night. One picture is dark. I also have a picture of all of them eating and a few that I don't have a clue what they are (the rooster).

I think there are:
7 Barred Rock
7 Australop
4 Buff Orphington
2 Columbian Wyndotte (1 mixed easter egger)
2 Leghorns
1 Wyndotte (not sure of this one)
1 rooster (bantam no idea)
4 red w/ black tail feathers (maybe Cinnamon Queens)
1 Golden Comet
5 bantums (no idea)

Any help confirming or correcting my identifications would be super helpful. Also, are the little ones bantum or a different breed that is smaller. I don't know anything about bantums other than that they are smaller that standard chickens.

Thank you so much.

Attachments

• IMG_20230515_151005_489.jpg
    IMG_20230515_151005_489.jpg
    938.6 KB · Views: 655
  • signal-2023-05-15-09-07-38-513-3.jpg
    signal-2023-05-15-09-07-38-513-3.jpg
    358 KB · Views: 57
  • signal-2023-05-15-09-07-38-513-1.jpg
    signal-2023-05-15-09-07-38-513-1.jpg
    656.9 KB · Views: 49
  • signal-2023-05-15-09-07-38-513-4.jpg
    signal-2023-05-15-09-07-38-513-4.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 46
  • signal-2023-05-15-09-07-38-513-2.jpg
    signal-2023-05-15-09-07-38-513-2.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 39
  • signal-2023-05-15-09-07-38-513-5.jpg
    signal-2023-05-15-09-07-38-513-5.jpg
    1,004.3 KB · Views: 43
The rooster and the little hens look like hatchery quality old English game bantams or mixes of that breed. A couple of the larger birds look like American game hens, including the wheaten one. They have racy builds and long tails. There are several Rhode Island reds.

I see no Wyandottes. One white and black one has a pea comb so guessing it is an Easter egger. The other needs a better photo of comb to guess, but I am thinking this is a mix. There is also a larger hen with slate blue legs that looks to be a mix.

Hi y'all.

We just bought a property that came with 34 chickens. I can ID some, but not sure about all of them. I got some pictures from when they were in the coup for the night. One picture is dark. I also have a picture of all of them eating and a few that I don't have a clue what they are (the rooster).

I think there are:
7 Barred Rock
7 Australop
4 Buff Orphington
2 Columbian Wyndotte (1 mixed easter egger)
2 Leghorns
1 Wyndotte (not sure of this one)
1 rooster (bantam no idea)
4 red w/ black tail feathers (maybe Cinnamon Queens)
1 Golden Comet
5 bantums (no idea)

Any help confirming or correcting my identifications would be super helpful. Also, are the little ones bantum or a different breed that is smaller. I don't know anything about bantums other than that they are smaller that standard chickens.

Thank you so much.
That is an interesting arrangement. Did the folks selling the place just not want to take them with them?

Thank you so much @JedJackson. Which ones do you think could be American Game Hens? I thought the one with blue legs was the wyndotte. Thanks for clarifying that. The easter egger makes sense, since we have been finding blue eggs (2/day). The ones I thought could be leghorns are smaller than I expected the breed to be. Are the ones I thought are Cinnamon Queens and the Comet RRs?

@JacinLarkwell - I am not sure if its a naked neck or getting pecked. We are still getting settled into the situation. We named her Blonde, cus she looks like an 80s rockstar. Lol

@Saveria - the seller offered the birds to come with the purchase of the property, as he was moving across the country.

Individual pictures of the ones that you listed as wyandottes would help, as I don’t see any wyandottes in those pictures. You have American gamefowl, buff orpingtons, white leghorns, RIRs, barred rocks, black australorps, one red sex link, and a buff orpington mix.

Thank you all. I just got off the phone with the neighbor who is caring for the chickens and she said the white one othat I thought was a columbian wyndotte died in the coop. There was no sign of predators and it had a dirty backside from diarrhea. The poop looked black and was dried on the feathers.

I am concerned for the flocks that are out there and for our 22 chickens that we are bringing to the land. All except 4 of our chickens are pullets and cockerels. The other 4 are laying hens.

The chickens on the property are in 2 differrnt coops and the previous owner only gave then corn and meat and they all free range. I want to go into this situation wisely so to support the existing flocks and our young ones.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you all so much.

Thank you all. I just got off the phone with the neighbor who is caring for the chickens and she said the white one othat I thought was a columbian wyndotte died in the coop. There was no sign of predators and it had a dirty backside from diarrhea. The poop looked black and was dried on the feathers.

I am concerned for the flocks that are out there and for our 22 chickens that we are bringing to the land. All except 4 of our chickens are pullets and cockerels. The other 4 are laying hens.

The chickens on the property are in 2 differrnt coops and the previous owner only gave then corn and meat and they all free range. I want to go into this situation wisely so to support the existing flocks and our young ones.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you all so much.
Can you put the new flock into one coop and your flock into another coop? That way you can sort of quarantine the new flock for a little while and do a slower introduction of the two flocks.

Agreed on the keep them separated for now, as best you can.

Based on their former diet, maybe move them over to an all-flock diet for a couple weeks or so. And then worm them all? Sounds like the health of the flock you inherited may be iffy, so getting them some solid nutrition followed by worming- you can hit a low-cost, low-effort reset.

Hopefully you'll see some improvement across the board, and can identify if there are specific chickens with additional issues. Mites, infections, etc. Hitting them with too many meds without a bit of proper nutrition may make things worse.

Also, I personally think electrolytes in their water works magic way beyond the cost. Getting them back to a baseline could be really helpful.

They're so lucky to have a new owner that has a clue and gives a darn!!

Back
Top Bottom