Protruding vent and pasty butt on week old chick

Recently I had a chick who suddenly came down very sick. It stopped eating, chirped constantly, couldn't seem to get warm, even though it's being raised by a broody hen. It had just turned a week old.

This treatment probably saved its life. I took some coconut oil that was in its solid form and broke off small pieces and placed them in the chick's beak which I pried open. I got perhaps a half teaspoon of oil down it.

Next morning, the chick was showing improvement, eating and moving around. I found a good-size turd in the nest. This chick was either constipated or had an impacted crop. The coconut oil would address either condition, and it can't hurt to start with it on the off chance it will help.

In two days, the chick's eyes were brighter, she had lost the red rims around them, and was as active as the other chick. In just the two days she was afflicted, she had lost ground in size, but she seems to have regained it.

Pasty butt can cause constipation. A chick that is constipated can die. It's also a painful condition, and it can cause the vent to swell from straining to poop. Coconut oil smoothed onto the vent will help with the pain and swelling and help prevent pasty butt. You can also use the coconut oil to soften the pasty butt crust and clean the vent without irritating the delicate tissue.

I advise you to get some if you don't have any. It's a much better first aid than Vaseline which is a petroleum product and can be toxic.
I do have some extra virgin cold pressed coconut oil. Is there anything that could go wrong when using that? I feel like I've stressed her out so much with all the butt cleaning and checking her. I just don't want to jump from one extreme to the next.

Coconut oil won't hurt any chick. If it turns out she's not constipated, it still isn't going to hurt her. Your extra virgin cold pressed will do just fine.

Since learning (BYC) of ACV with the Mother in the water (1T/gal) I use it when I get chicks. I have less to no problems with pasty butt. One batch I got that I was raising for someone, had terrible pasty butt which meant daily cleaning. Had them on ACV Water for a few days before I had less butts to clean by the end of the week, none I also FF so that helps too.

Agree with PD-Rinverman, use 40watt bulb is plenty warmth with your set up in the bin, I use that set up for a week, then out they go. Look into the MHP, it's alot safer & easier & they can be brooded outside.

azygous, thanks for the coconut oil info, good item to keep on hand!

Last edited:
Well everyone, thank you all for your great responses and advice for the little babe. Sadly, I got home tonight to see she has passed away.

Back
Top Bottom