Proud Mama

Congratulations on getting your 1st (of many) eggs!

I'm guessing the high dollar value includes poultry, feed, coop, etc.?

That's right - with the coop, the run, the feeders, the extras, feed, etc. we have that much or more tied up in our five little ladies - but I have gotten that much fun out of watching them grow! I've been anxiously awaiting that first egg. I looked in and thought I saw an egg and thought no - it's just a shadow - I had opened my clean out doors, but I looked again and decided to go around to the other side and open the lid to the nesting box and there it was. I've taken it next door to let each of my grandsons hold it - you would have thought it was a golden egg - but they all had to have a turn holding it. I'm so proud of that egg!

It's like the $64 dollar tomato(good book)!

Just think, the rest of the eggs will be much more cost effective!

That's right - with the coop, the run, the feeders, the extras, feed, etc. we have that much or more tied up in our five little ladies - but I have gotten that much fun out of watching them grow! I've been anxiously awaiting that first egg. I looked in and thought I saw an egg and thought no - it's just a shadow - I had opened my clean out doors, but I looked again and decided to go around to the other side and open the lid to the nesting box and there it was. I've taken it next door to let each of my grandsons hold it - you would have thought it was a golden egg - but they all had to have a turn holding it. I'm so proud of that egg!
First egg AND in the nest box? High five for you and your lady.
highfive.gif

frow.gif
Yeah those home grown eggs are expensive, but the entertainment is priceless!

I got my second egg today. It was in the coop, but not in a nesting box.
It is the same size and color as the other. They are small - almost like a bantum egg but I am told they will get larger as they begin to lay. I still think it is the Buff. She is by far the largest and seems to have the more mature comb and waddle. The BRs are not far behind - but I don't hear them cackling and making nearly as much noise as the BO. She seems to be the proudest running around the coop. I had been checking every hour or so today to see if I got another one - I wanted to see if I could catch one on the nest, but took a long nap and when I checked afterwards - the egg was there and all the girls were out of the coop. No one came back into the coop as I opened the clean out door to try and lay claim to the prize so until I actually can see which one I don't know for sure. They are all the same age. I don't think it's the Cochin - she doesn't seem interested at all. But with the second one - the price of eggs just came down!

woot.gif
Half price today only!!!! Tomorrow maybe even less expensive!

I had a neighbor with a Mustang horse that when it was close to time for her to have the baby waited until they went to breakfast in town. She had not appeared to be in labor. They were gone only about 30 minutes when WHOOP there the baby was. They had been very worried about her since the vet said the baby would be very large and had been spending a lot of time checking up on her. By the time they drove home after receiving the frantic call the baby was up and nursing.
Just saying looking in on them to often may make them pinch a cheek if you know what I mean.
wink.png

The eggs do get larger once they have been laying for about a month. Enjoy the TWO egg breakfast.

Back
Top Bottom