proud mom - girls put themselves to bed

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by sharol, Aug 14, 2010.

1. sharol

sharol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Admire, KS
    My 7, almost 5 week old, chicks have been spending days in their run/coop for a week now, and tonight is the 4th night they have spent in the coop. When I went out to put in their solar nightlight and put them in for the night, they had already gone into the coop and settled for the night. It wasn't quite dark yet, but there they were, cuddled in the corner.

Usually they have been cheeping and restless for a while, and the other night they were chasing the bugs that were attacted by the solar light, but not tonight. I guess they had a busy day.

2. Pineywoods Peepers

Pineywoods Peepers Certified Poultry Accruer

Lucky! I'm still having to chase mine around the yard. Of course, they have only been out in the yard since wednesday. Do you have a light in the coop to coax them to go in?

Rachel

3. natalie katja

natalie katja Out Of The Brooder

Aug 11, 2010
    Bay Minette, AL
    [​IMG][​IMG] Mine did the same thing today! I have 4 5 week olds and 2 bigger (probably 7-8 week old) hens. The 2 bigger ones have been going in by themselves for a few days (they have been in the coop/run around 2 weeks now!). The littler 4 were always pushing it as late as they could, but seem to have finally caught on! I'm so proud! [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

4. LizGled628

LizGled628 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Rhode Island
    Isn't it the greatest feeling?! I love it when my girlies tuck themselves in!

5. WonderChicken

WonderChicken Out Of The Brooder

Aug 14, 2010
    High Ridge, Missouri
    Congrats! It took me about 4-5 days to get the chicks to go upstairs at night on their own. A few picked up on it rather quickly, others took longer. Now, getting them to roost instead of laying on the floor...that's another story. There are still nights when I have to tap someone on the rear and it's been months [​IMG]

6. my girls are 5 weeks old and still in the brooder! they have naptimes during the day and at about 7:30, we put them to bed and turn off all the lights

7. catwalk

catwalk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2009
    Put a couple of roosting places in the coop. Eventually, everyone will have found her favorite spot, and it will be so easy to take a head count in the evening! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by