Proud Mommy Pics and story

thefeatherlady

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 28, 2014
I'm so glad someone created a BRAGGING PAGE!!! Here are my two little Darlings. The smaller one (with more black on her back) is Charlotte, (she has an attitude and thinks everything belongs to her) and the larger one is Carly. She is a real sweetheart. She is so gentle and even as one week old chicks she captured my heart. They are now 3 months old and I can't remember when I've had more fun. I've had to teach them to come to me, recognize my voice and my commands, teach them how to climb the ramp, teach them to perch on their roost and even had to teach them to forage in the grass. Yep, they would just walk around the grass and didn't know what to do, so I sprinkled some scratch and oats around the lawn in their portable run and in no time they learned how to forage. It didn't take them long to learn the words "nummy nums" and come a running'. They have been eating out of my hand since I got them and they are both very gentle. I keep their treats on a table on my porch and every time I walk by the table they think they are going to get a treat. They make me laugh every day. They like to perch on my dogs outside bed and then they got real brave and just started snuggling in the bed with my dog. In fact, my dog was with me when I picked them up and she thinks they are her babies. She watches over them and keeps all the neighborhood cats away. She will even round them up when I tell her to "go get the girls". One of the things I love the most is that they will perch on the side of the dog bed near my chair, then start making the sweetest little chatter and that's my cue to pet them, then Charlotte will jump up on my lap and has even been known to climb up on my shoulder. Carly usually lets Charlotte have her way but Carly will come over and sit on my feet every chance she gets.

I'm single and retired and got a couple of chicks to get rid of the grasshoppers and earwigs in my planters. I had no idea they would change my life like they did. I even managed to build a small pre-fab coop by myself and now I'm designing a side yard just for my two little darling girls. If you know of anyone who is older and either bored or depressed or just needs a purpose I would definitely recommend chickens. If I had more property I would have more chickens but I live in a subdivision so I limited myself to two. I feel I picked the best possible breed for myself. Not only are they beautiful and different, they are extremely gentle, friendly and especially cold hardy. I live in southwestern Idaho and it gets pretty cold in the winter. This will be their first winter so I'm hoping I do everything right the first time around. Ha ha.

Thanks for letting me share my story and pics. I love going through all the stories and pics and seeing what everyone is experiencing. This is such a great web site.

What a beautiful story! You're girls are precious! I wish everyone knew just how great chickens really are. Thanks for sharing their story and pictures too! Keep enjoying your girls!
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom