Proud my puppy Tucker

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by pbjmaker, May 19, 2011.

1. pbjmaker

pbjmaker Overrun With Chickens

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    I am so proud of my dog Tucker - for the silliest thing really.
    Background info first: He is a 10 month old mix of Bichon and Cavalier King Charles. We have him and his brother. Tucker has always been the more "serious" of the two. Playful but also a thinker. He is always trying to figure out where or what I am going to do next so that he can get there at the same time or before me. I've been really frustrated with his teenagerness outside. He learned to jump fences (but quit finally) and his latest thing for the last month is forgetting what the word "come" means. He likes to get within a foot of me then go backwards to get away or hide under the canoe so I can't find him. Treats do not work - he totally gets that they are a bribe and just won't get near me.

Anyhow - just wanted you to see that he has been a pill lately.

Well last night the neighbors came over with their little kids. The dogs have never been around a toddler before. I was totally impressed that he caught on really quick that their 1 year old was unsure on her feet and he was walking beside her so she could grab him if she fell. Sparky was cautious of her and wouldn't get near - he has always been cautious of new things.

Then their baby was grabbing his beard and squishing his head and he just looked at her like - that's cool - your a baby and don't know any better.

I gave him a lot of kisses for his patience with her - he is really a sweet puppy once we get past this boundry testing.

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Ohhhh...being gentle and patient around little ones is SO worth the teenage brattiness that your pooch (mine too!!) has been going through, isn't it??? A dog will outgrow teenagehood. But a dog that is snappy around little ones often doesn't.

3. pbjmaker

pbjmaker Overrun With Chickens

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    Here is a picture of him Sorry it's blurry - one of his other rebel things - no pictures will be taken [​IMG] so I have to catch him far off and then zoom in the picture.

[​IMG]

He really needs a face trim...

4. chickbea

chickbea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2007
    Vermont
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by