Proud new crazy chicken mommy!!

spacecowgirl

Songster
8 Years
Jul 30, 2011
Hi, everyone!!

I've been lurking on this forum for awhile now and decided I just have to join. I got bit by the chicken bug four months ago when I got my first two chicks. One died the first night and I was heartbroken. Off I went to get another one to replace it the very next day. I painstakingly raised them until they were old enough to go outside and had my Dad (a carpenter) build what we call our "chicken mansion" and sizeable run under our deck. They were so friendly and happy to be around people, I let them free range most of the day. Tragically, a few weeks later, the "replacement chicken" , which at the time was my favorite, was killed by our neighbor's dog...my son and I cried and cried.
hit.gif
But more on that later...in other posts, surely.

So that left my original chicken, Brownie, alone again, at about 2 1/2 months old! So I got a new 1 week old chick ( Black Copper Maran )to keep her company. I was afraid they wouldn't get along at first, so I separated them in the coop...well, Brownie kept jumping in with her and getting stuck ( she was way to big )
gig.gif
and they made fast friends!

But I decided that the new chick was probably a rooster ( what do I know, haha ) so I go a couple of days later and get one more chick from the same brood. I was convinced this one was a hen, and they all got along famously. I was wrong. First one WAS a hen, the second, a rooster. He's very cool, but I know I may have to give him up.
sad.png

The chicken math kicked in, and I got another ( 3 week old ) chick from a friend of my son's, but my, now older flock, pecked it unmercilessly, so I had to seperate her, in the coop again. Well, she was lonely. Even with a mirror in there to gaze into. So I went back and got her a friend ( brother, sister? ) and they are happy, but I'm dreading the upcoming introduction...

Why didn't I just get six or seven chicks to begin with and avoid all this mess? Because I had no idea what I was doing. Also, because this was all my husband's fault!! He wanted them, me, not so much....But once I got those first two, I was hooked.

Now I'm the one who takes care of them, obsesses over them, spends all my time with them, dreams about them, gets picked on my friends because of them......yes, I am the crazy chicken lady.

frow.gif
Hi and welcome to BYC! The integration can be a long drawn out process. What I did is seperate my two small flocks with a wire dog kennel. I would switch who would go in the kennel twice a day. It took at least 3 weeks of separation, but able to see each other before I could let them together. It felt like forever. Some people section off a part of the coop while integrating. They will eventually get along. It's best to have everyone about the same size when together. Therefore, the newcomers can defend themselves. Good luck.

Hi!
welcome-byc.gif
Where all of us have bugs LOL Question: Why do you have to get rid of your Roo? I have two and they protect our girls. Of course they are Banty so they arent very loud either. (I live in the middle of town) Can you not keep your Roo? They can be pretty enjoyable. And usually VERY handsome birdies indeed
wink.png

Welcome, You are going to really enjoy BYC, glad you joined! (from Washington State)

Back
Top Bottom