Proud new owner of.... Pics Added!

mandelyn

Crowing
14 Years
Aug 30, 2009
Mt Repose, OH
My Coop
My Coop
Two Flemish Giant does! They're 8 weeks old, already a fair size as far as babies go! Both are Fawn colored, but you guys won't get your photos until tomorrow. I wanted a breeding trio, but it's been several years since I've kept rabbits, so I got just the two girls to raise and play with and bond with before I commit to an instant rabbit family. I'll see if I still want to add a male this time next year when these are grown. Plus we didn't want to build 3 hutches right off the bat either, duck house is the priority.

They're SO sweet! I didn't think they would be coming out of a "farm" environment with outside hutches and many, many rabbits, but these two girls came towards me and sniffed and didn't throw a hissy fit when I picked them up. They've been the calmest rabbits I've ever had. And they smell nice, they're clean, ears and eyes are clear, I'm pleased! First time not having to wash pee stink off the feet after bringing them home.

I'm leaving them alone for the evening to settle in, I'll torture them with a photo shoot tomorrow when I can reward them with a dandelion sprout or something.

And to top off Spring, I had a duck pip in the incubator when I got home!

Last edited:
Yep.. thats a flemish for you... Sweet sweet bunnys!
smile.png

I KNEW someone would want pics after I went to bed! LOL I'm thinking on names, I can somewhat tell them apart by personality and size of ears. They're sisters, so I was thinking on matching names. I am reading Watership Down for like the 7th time, maybe I'll pull some names from it. Strawberry and.... hhmm.

I'll stop talking and get to the pictures.

On the left, the friendliest, smaller ears, some what smaller size. Being less scared, this one will foot slam when I set it back down. The one on the right, doesn't do that and freezes up more, hoping to be ignored I guess. They've not been handled much, but I'll change that.

P1050261.jpg

Leftie again...

P1050262.jpg

Rightie, not moving from that corner... LOVE her face!

P1050263.jpg

They're from purebred and pedigreed parents that were just MASSIVE. Not the biggest I've seen in photos, but the biggest I've seen in person.

Does anyone know this breed well enough to tell me how "typey" they are at this age? Next year, I'll want a male that improves what they lack, and I don't know what that is yet.

The hutch still needs a front put on it. It's framed out, wire is on the sides, two boxes on the other side, still needs a front door and more wire. Maybe the thunderstorming will stop right when husband comes home so we can get to work. A hutch that they will outgrow, but in any case, it will be alright until we get the duck house done and can build a proper huge befitting their future size.

The pipped duckling is still talking to me in the incubator. I thought it might be out when I woke up, but it is a little early and must be taking naps.

Last edited:
Cute....I love the color of them. How about Thelma and Louise? Ginger and Maryanne? I really like Ginger for a name. Can't think of anymore right now.

Back
Top Bottom