Proud newbie of 6 little chickies!

Leap777

Hatching
May 30, 2016
Hello...my name is Betsy (No, I'm not a cow and do not own a cow!). I have new little chicks that are about a week and a half old. They are all happy, eating some crumbles out of my hand, and listening to soft rock in my basement. I have gently picked a couple of them up in my hand in the process of taming them. I am just itching (no, not scratching!) to give them some treats. I know I have to start giving them some grit--I am going to buy a package of parakeet gravel. Should I start giving them the grit first for several days before I give them treats? What kind of treats should I start with? Is it too early for live mealworms? Any suggestions?

Welcome, you are soo cute, sorry. Like a first time Mom in a couple years you'll go to the end of the driveway for grit. I remember making up a dust bath and the chickies eating it. They love dirt more than snacks. God bless.

Nice to meet you Betsy. It's really best to keep them on their chick starter. Treats should not exceed 10% of their daily ration. Chicks are like kids and prefer treats to healthy food - to the point where they will expect to fill up on treats and not touch their nutritionally complete chicken feed.

Back
Top Bottom