proud of my coop "windows"

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Chickhick, Feb 9, 2011.

1. Chickhick

Chickhick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2010
    North Alabama
    I'm so happy with the work I've done on my coop! I bought an old door with 2 rows of glass window panes at a thrift shop by the side of the road for $12.

I like to see out of my coop into the pasture, so I had only used wire from about waist-high on up in one of the coop's rooms. Even though I'm in Alabama, the wintery winds have been too cold blowing in, but I didn't want to close up the view. (Don't worry... there haven't been any chickens in that part of the coop since last Fall when the chickies were old enough to join the rest of the flock.)

So, anyway, I turned the door sideways and boosted it up a little with a 2x8, and it makes a fantastic 8 foot long span of windows across that room! I haven't finished putting the plywood above it and the wire at the very top for ventilation, but it is already looking pretty good!

I'm married, but he is a desk-job kind of guy, so I'm on my own with coop building, and I'm so proud of myself!! [​IMG] The shell of the barn I hired a guy to build, but I've done all the rest. I even bought the drill and circular saw by myself. Most of it I did last year, but the window and another wall I did yesterday. I love my barn all the more for me having put so much of the actual work into it myself.

I hope to have at least that room finished to use as a quarantine room for my new Dorkings coming next week! Then it will be for the chicks that (hopefully) will hatch out of the eggs going into the incubator today. When I'm done I'll post a picture. [​IMG]

2. Lesa

Lesa Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2008
    Upstate NY
    Sounds fabulous! Where are the pics??

3. Louise's Country Closet

Louise's Country Closet Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Garrison, MN
    I want to see pics too!!! [​IMG]

4. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    [​IMG]

5. Dogfish

Dogfish Rube Goldberg incarnate

Mar 17, 2010
    Western Washington
    Just because a guy has a desk job doesn't excuse him. (I'm a banker)

I bet that he got you fooled with screwing up the laundry so he doesn't have to do any, too. [​IMG]

6. Chickhick

Apr 17, 2010
    North Alabama
    [​IMG] Dogfish, maybe your onto something there! Hmmm...

7. annaraven

annaraven Born this way

Apr 15, 2010
    SillyCon Valley
    Great thinking! Good job. I know what you mean about a non-handy DH. Mine is useless at anything like that. But he's awesome in every other respect so I wouldn't trade him for anything.

8. Chickhick

Apr 17, 2010
    North Alabama
    Quote:[​IMG] Exactly! [​IMG]

9. Chickhick

Apr 17, 2010
    North Alabama
    I'll try to get some pictures tomorrow. I have the battery charging now.

I went to the hardware store tonight and got some more 2x8s and worked on the wall above the "windows" and the area to the sides. I decided to go with 2x8s all the way up instead of plywood because I wanted the wood to stack up level , which I can do with the 2x8s by screwing them to the side posts. But I was afraid that the plywood would warp without support in the middle. I also got some plywood to finish the interior of the "broody room."

Working on my barn makes me happy! [​IMG]

(Edited for spelling.)

Last edited: Feb 9, 2011
  10. Chickhick

Apr 17, 2010
    North Alabama
    [​IMG]

It's too cold to work on it today, but there it is so far. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by