Proud owner of 2 blue slates and a royal palm, now what!?!?!

CDennis

Songster
10 Years
Apr 1, 2009
Idaho
I just bought a breeding pair of blue slates, and a female royal palm. They are currently hanging out in my horse trailer for a few days to get the feel for the place. The post I wish I had found prior to buying a TOM talked about a tom almost killing a rooster. I have a rooster and a banty rooster should I be concerned? I also have 2 full grown guineas, 7 (2 month) old guineas, a bunch of chickens, 3 goats and 3 horses. The tom doesn't seem mean, but this is my first experience with turkeys so I don't really know what to expect. The guy I bought them from said they were fine around chickens but he had them pinned up and says he doesn't let them out much. I know w/ blackhead organism turkeys and chickens shouldn't be raised together but can they free range together? Any advice would be greatly appreciated, I guess I didn't realize tom's could be brutal to other critters, my husband has always wanted turkeys and I did it as a surprise. Now I am starting to wonder if it was more of a surprise than I was planning for! -Thanks!

My six Bourbon Reds (four toms and two hens) have a separate pen for nights but all my poultry free range during the daylight hours. No problem as they have room and no conflict.

Oh good news! I have about 5 fenced acres for them to free range during the day, my hubby will be building them a coop tomorrow! For now they are chilling in a 4 horse trailer!
smile.png

Quote:
Be sure to build their roosts up very high. They prefer to have the sides open but fenced and the roosts about 8-9 ft above the ground. My dh built the turkey pen on the side of the old barn. It has the old barn on the north and the west side but east and south are open and coved with chicken wire. Roosts are nine feet and they are loving it.

Back
Top Bottom