1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Proud to be an American

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Capvin, Jan 25, 2012.

1. Capvin

Capvin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    Lake Placid, FL
    I read a story this morning describing how our Navy Seal team Six helicoptered into the jungle of Somalia and rescued a young American girl who had been kidnapped by Somalia type pirates/criminals/kidnappers. The order was given a couple of days ago and was successfully completed while Obama was giving the State of the Union address. We live in a great country and no one can tell me that the state of this union is not strong when we, as a country, could even think of doing such a thing for a young, individual American. I would have loved to be a fly on the wall when the President called this young girl's family last night to tell them, "Oh, by the way, our Seals have rescued your daughter and she is on her way home to you." Just think about it, there are only two other countries in the entire world that would even think to do something like this for its citizens, much less even have the ability to do it. The President was right last night when he said we and congress could take a good lesson from our military. I am certain that no one on that Seal team ever even thought of what that young woman's politics were, her religion or the color of her skin or anything else other then she was an American citizen.

2. turney31

turney31 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    palestine texas
    Well done!! Thanks for sharing. [​IMG]

3. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

[​IMG] That's right!!

4. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    :thumbsup :clap

5. HCFarms96

HCFarms96 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2011
    Amen. That is a very touching story.
    And, while I'm at it, I want to share something that has been on my mind for awhile now. Thank your military, yes. We need them. Without the great men and women who stand up for our country, who knows where we would be. Thank their families for the sacrifices they make as well. These are things we all need to do.
    But, I wonder... how many people who thank a Soldier, would then walk up to a Police Officer or Fireman and thank them as well? Our military is busy in other countries, keeping the bad guys out of here. Our Police Officers are keeping the bad guys who are already here under control. Our Fireman are keeping us safe. What about the sacrifices they make? And the sacrifices their families make? They are just as important, we need them just as much.
    I am not down-playing the military, and never would. Good grief, my own kin is in there. I just wonder how thankful we really are for ALL of those who work and sacrifice to protect us.

6. Matthew3590

Matthew3590 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Middle, TN
    I tend to thank fireman and military and tend to stay away from cops. Horrible I know.

7. Bullitt

Bullitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Texas
    Which are the two other countries in your mind? I am thinking that Great Britain, Russia, China, and Canada might be able to conduct a similar operation, and maybe even Israel.

I do not like the law that was just passed that allows the U.S. government to declare a U.S. citizen a suspected terrorist and have that person sent to a foreign prison without a trail. But overall I also think we live in a great country. If you love your country you point out the flaws and try to improve the country.

Those Navy SEALs are incredible. Thank you President Kennedy for forming the Navy SEALs.

8. Capvin

Capvin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    Lake Placid, FL
    The two other countries are Great Britain and Israel. Israel has already done it several times. As for the observation that we should be just as thankful to police and firefighters I heartily agree and would add good teachers and nurses to the list also. However, it is the military along with its traditions, sacrifice, discipline, and continued successes that reserve to be emulated by all of us.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by